2 channels crossfaded by a foot control

[GP4] Windows 10 - XR-18
I would like to expand on a help topic regarding cross fades. Any suggestions would be great. I would like to use a midi expression pedal to control one fader in Mixing station. Then link that fader to a second fader while setting it’s properties to reverse, to accomplish a manual crossfade by foot.

This concept is described in the online documentation. The example cross fades between two different effects but the idea is the same

https://gigperformer.com/docs/GP4UserManual/how-to-add-widget-to-group.html

1 Like

I will play around with this tomorrow, but this looks like it puts me on the right track. I want to have one fader on my XR-18 go up, while another goes down. Since I am feeding all the VSTi’s from GP4 to the XR-18 and blending those with my live guitar track, it may be tricky. I also use a Nectar Pacer foot controller which feeds the Midi in of my XR-18 and the USB is sent to my PC to control parameters in GP4 plugs. The trick is to get the midi info from GP4 back to the XR-18 via the USB between the XR and my PC. Alternatively I could maybe process my live guitar thru GP4, but then I will have latency issues to deal with. I can except the latency from my chosen plugins (strings for example, which you don’t notice) Thanks for a quick response. I will keep you up to date with my findings. Good Evening

As for the audio latency, here are some tools and tips in our updated blog article: Gig Performer | Audio latency, buffer size and sample rate explained

1 Like

I guess it would be best if you connect both, the Pacer pedal and the XR18, via USB with your PC.
That way you will have two independent and bidirectional MIDI devices available within GP4 and all the MIDI routing and controlling could then be done within GP4.
I.e. you could use a widget that is MIDI(in) controlled by your foot controller and sends out MIDI(out) to the XR18’s fader using a CC#/Midi Channel/whatever. A second widget would then be placed in the same widget group but with reversed value and could then be mapped MIDI-out-wise to another XR18 fader.
Maybe you will have to overthink, who will be the “boss” within your new setup - i would recommend you to set GP4 in 1st place since there you will have the most flexible ways to control all sort of things that are going in and out.

1 Like

There is a Scriptlet that could be slightly adapted and help you:

It was especially made for the constant power mode (reduced overall volume change while cross fading).

3 Likes

Thanks Shamass, I actually do have both connected to my PC. Essentially the only thing that XR-18 USB connector does, is to pass audio back and forth to your Daw or whatever on your PC. It does nothing for midi on USB. I have my Pacer, connected to my PC with the USB, and right now I am controlling the XR thru the Midi connection. There is a setting in the XR-18 settings, to toggle on/off of the Midi Ports, as well as USB and Pass thru’s as well. This is where it gets sticky. I used to use a MidiMate to control the XR-18, and that foot pedal only had the 5pin DIN connector… NO USB, then when I wanted to control things on my PC, I had to change the settings on the XR-18 to use a Pass Thru, but then I could no longer control the XR-18. I hope you can see my dilemma.

Good tips, Yes I know what latency is. When I was young and going to school, I was often late. One day my teacher said - This is the last time I will not mark you tardy. Next time I will mark you tardy and something else as well. I said What else could you possibly do. My teacher said. We’ll just have to see if your LATENCY. :slight_smile:

3 Likes