XR-18 controlled from GP4

This gig file was created to have basic control of the Behringer XR-18.
Control is of the 16 fader, plus Aux (no 17-18)
See the comment file in back view for more info.
Mutes at the bottom will toggle the active status above the ch faders
also control over FX sends, and returns, with mutes.
Behringer did not provide midi control cc for the SOLOs
Meters have not yet been implemented
DCA control and mutes, as well as the 4 assigned mutes
ISSUES
The Master toggle mute works fine, however I have an issue with the Master fader (when moved quickly, creates some sort of midi looping, and although you can usually clear it by hitting the MIDI reset in GP4, it will sometimes crash the program and needs restarting.

XR-18 panel (ver 1).gig (1.3 MB)

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I will be getting my X32 rack soon and will give this a try to see if I can use it for my in ear mix when controlled by a MidiFighter Twister. Eventually, I will look to get control via OSC but this will be a very useful rackspace in the meantime. I’ll let you know how it works

I only have the XR-18 which this was designed for, however you may be able to implement it in XR-32 by duplicating a second rackspace, easier than rebuilding it from scratch. I don’t know if the XR-32 will use the same cc values for channels 1 thru 16. You will have to check those. As for the duplicate, you would have to re-enter the correct cc values for each ch 17 thru 32, Let me know how you do with it if it works. Good day sir!

I’m currently waiting on my replacement X32 as the new one was sadly faulty, but it did seem to work with the same midi CC numbers. I will need to get OSC connectivity working as it’ll be easier to connect to my monitor mixer when playing live over Wifi vs running a midi cable.

Once I get the replacement unit, I’ll dive into it some more. My dream is to get meters working over OSC in realtime. We’ll see how that goes

I fixed the issue with the master getting into a midi loop. Also changed the Master Mute. I will upload the new version in a week or so.

1 Like

Hello @Glen
Thank you for sharing your XR-18 controller gig. Is the link for XR-18 panel (ver 1).gig the updated version where you fixed the master getting into a midi loop and also changed the master mute?

Does this GP Gig require X-Air Edit to be running in the background, or does it control the XR-18 directly?

Thanks again!

I don’t believe I previously updated, or I should say (uploaded the new ver 1.2, which fixed a bug in the main fader, as well as some minor layout to the main fader and mute. So this is ver 2.1. It will work with the XR-18 without opening XR xAir editor. I have yet to add any metering to this.
XR-18 panel (ver 1.2).gig (1.4 MB)

3 Likes

3 Likes

This widget will control the XR-18 based on it’s "Midi Implementation chart. Any midi controllers should control the XR-18 as well. I have an ethernet cable and USB connected to the XR-18 for data communications. You also have to be aware of the setup in XR-18 and their toggle settings for Midi Config, as I showed in a previous upload.

2 Likes

@DennisT2022

Please test thoroughly (or any other XR-18 user). This is a good candidate for Gig and Rackspace files.

1 Like

Will do, @npudar

@Glen thank you so much for sharing this. I have a new nanoKontrol 2 coming today, and I hope to test this over the weekend.

Again, thank you!

For other XR-18 users, here’s the Midi implementation chart from page 31 of the manual.

1 Like

It’s a pity that the XR18’s MIDI doesn’t support solo’ing…
But i think something similar could be simulated via GP-Script, at least some kind of mute/unmute behaviour which would come close to a solo-functionality.
But this will of course not be able to use any of the XR18’s internal routing options (i.e. solo’ed channels mapped to the headphones only).

2 Likes

Maybe via OSC??

I think I could make that work Schamass. It would be a little time consuming, but I could create a SOLO button that would mute all the other channels. Not sure how it would work with more than one solo at a time. Thanks for the input.

Here is an addendum to the Midi Implementation chart

Yeah, that’s exactly my concern too… i’m not sure how the XR18 actually handles this.
I guess it’s like this:
The first Solo press will mute everything else and each additional channel which is solo’ed will change from “mute” to “solo” and play with the others. This should be done quite easily as well with mute/unmute - but what if a channel is un-solo’ed? Will it change to “mute” again?
And what should be done if the last “Solo” is removed? I think the general “mute state” of the channels before the first solo had to be buffered to be restored when all solos are off again.
Or something like that…