Writing Scripts

I would like to learn how to write scripts in GP. I understand a little about scripting from many years ago dabbling into VB but I would like to take a refresher or basic course to get up to speed.

I also would like to use Lemur and be able to program that myself, same applies to Microsoft Excel which I use a lot and am ok with basic formulae.

I would appreciate some suggestions as to what and where to learn how to script and use it in my applications, where do I start? Actually using VBA in Excel would be very useful for me, do you think this would be adequate training to get to grips with scripting in GP?

It’s a pity that the User Scripts section isn’t more populated, as other users scripts are helpful learning tools too.

We have an excellent GPScript manual on our main support page in PDF format. It is a great starting point and it explains all the basics. It also contains links to GPScript references.

Here is the link: http://gigperformer.com/downloads/GPScript/LanguageManual.pdf

Once you start - any GPScript related questions should go to the Scripting with Gig Performer forum where you’ll find a group of really helpful and supportive GPScript enthusiasts.

1 Like

Welcome to being a pioneer :slight_smile:
Seriously though, while we’re rather gratified by the interest, we didn’t really expect GP Script (which is badly named, it’s actually a compiler) to be used as much as we’re seeing. We built it to allow ourselves to do some experiments and for advanced users to be able to do slight tweaking.

Having said that, the language itself is reasonably simple. We deliberately did not use C-style obscure syntax and constructs so everything should be more readable. Links to both the documentation and the current list of available system functions can be found on our main support page

1 Like

Thank you for your replies.