Windows or OSX?

I am looking to purchase a new laptop to replace my pedal board with Gig Performer. Is there a general advantage to either platform with GP? Looking to minimize latency and of course no clicks. Using Antelope Audio Core 4 as a thunderbolt interface. I know it’s dependent on the ASIO drivers etc. But, is there a consensus on if Windows or OSx as better for this sort of thing.

FYI it’s probably between a Mac Air M2 and a Surface 9 (or Dell XPS 13 2-in-1)

A useful article to read: Gig Performer | Cross-platform usage and moving from one platform to another

The answer is: it depends.

If you don’t like messing around with computers and will need different and easy audio/MIDI routing options (which comes with a higher price tag), then macOS is a way to go.

3 Likes

Thanks.

I don’t mind spending a while setting up a computer, but I don’t want to chase my tail trying to optimize a bad choice. One advantage to the Windows computers is that they have a true ‘tablet’ format, better suited to a pedalboard. The advantage to OSx is that you can run iOS apps.

In my opinion, that is an extremely minor advantage.

Mostly That’s correct. In my case I want to run the Fishman TriplePlay iOS app as it’s much better suited to live performance vs the VST/AU plugin.

This question gets asked frequently and the latest discussion was lengthy and informative. I’ve linked that below. The biggest potential pitfall with Windows laptops are DPC calls related to power management changes in Windows 11 which seem to affect most of the newer Windows laptops to some degree. The short version is latency can be a problem with new Windows laptops and this has been explained well in the topic. Due to the recent silicone changes Apple has made with their M2 chip, my personal opinion is Apple is a better choice at this time unless there is something you need to run that isn’t available on OSX.

3 Likes

Okay, It seems the DPC could be getting worse due to thermal limitations on modern Intel chips. Apple does seem the better choice at this time thanks.

I don’t have any such problems with Windows on any of my computers.

I use GP with a recent i7-11800H/2.3 GHz/16 GB RAM PC and a spare i5-3320M/2.6 GHz/ 8 GB RAM one that is 12 years old and on which I update my GP files.

Of course, I’ve been on Windows for about 30 years so as long as it works well I don’t switch to another OS.

But I have always chosen processors with a focus on performance and with the necessary functionality to handle, among other things, thermal management.
And above all optimization for the stage :wink:

2 Likes

Based on the last 30+ years, starting with the 68000, it seems like the one thing you CAN count on from Apple is that as soon as the current platform is stable, they’ll change silicon. And then you start all over. Apple’s version of Phil Connors (Bill Murray) in Groundhog Day. [Not saying that there have been no glitches when Windows had a major version update. All of my apps worked, but some of my W7 drivers failed in W10. I needed/wanted a new audio interface anyway.]

I use GP with a recent i7-11800H/2.3 GHz/16 GB RAM PC and a spare i5-3320M/2.6 GHz/ 8 GB RAM one that is 12 years old and on which I update my GP files.

Are those desktop processors? Are you running low latency processing? like < 10ms IO?

Both are laptops. I use RME Babyface Pro at 44.1 kHz 256s. or 128s. depending on the circumstances.

To all concerned - I am a diehard windows fan and have had PCs since the very first one that IBM made. At one point I was writing printer and display drivers in ASM for the first iteration of FANAC distributed alarm systems for large merchant ships. I’m not impugning Windows or the Intel platforms in any way. All I was trying to point out is that latency introduced by DSP calls is currently a problem on PCs and as the article states it’s worth your while to check the list linked in the article to see how your prospective choice performs in that area - and/or run the latency monitor app on your selection before you buy so you know what you are getting (if possible!).

Apple has also had it’s lumps over the years. My wife gave me an iPAD2 years ago and I (very reluctantly) gave it a try to appease her, and I use it for a very limited number of things - which it was designed for. I have to say, there is a lot to be said for being able to use a device for a dedicated task, for which it was designed, and it has been flawless. In any case, I will probably buy one of the new M2 platforms or maybe the Studio and use it exclusively for my music productions. That’s a huge step for me, but I’m impressed enough with my research and what others have reported here in this forum to make the $$$ plung and give it a try, with my day to day stuff segregated to my Windows gear (including what I do with Android and Linux) and my music on an Apple platform. Maybe I won’t like it, but Apple sure looks good at this point in time.

I have used Windows for 20+ year in my job and private. The kids started to use Macs when they moved to university and based with their expierence i replaced all windows system within the family. I will never look back.

Beside the usual private admin I’m using my macs mainly for foto / video / music hobby. The stability / easy SW installation and updates / stable drivers / good midi / audio support is a big advantage and makes life much easier.

As long as the additional €€€ are not an issue - i would always prefer a Mac (especially with the new chips).

1 Like

for music, mac any day.

folks tend to leave out several points at such discussions.

first of all: the windows market is huge.
one guy might pick the right laptop, the other might not.

Often enough are participating contributers to such discussions (very) experienced IT folks.
…and then they tell you “Windows is good”. Which would be a generalisation. But thats not excactly doable vs. Windows, in my opinion.

second: just about everybody who has an idea what about they speak, would tell you: take an RME audio interface. But: there it goes, the so and so often mentioned price advantage vs. windows.

third: the audio tasks we do, might differ.
at some point, when dealing with several audio apps => interconnected, => and when “this” plays a real role, mac wins anyway big times in my opinion.
Windows systems, especially when using an RME, seems also good for alots of such tasks.
But: when i sometimes would read here at GP forum in the windows section,
i was really amazed to see all the problems windows users do have, with tasks that are just not a problem on a mac.

fourth: there are many little -audio- helper tools available for macs, which are realy cool for daily Audio handling. check out “rogue amoeba” for example. Or “snapper”

fifth: a M1mac second hand, is to have for very little money, compared to new from retail.
mac 2nd hand prices came down !
and since these M1macs would not overheat, exept at exzessive video, graphics work, a 2nd hand unit should be from little risk .

sixth: small latencys a major concern ?
M1/M2 mac plus a thunderbolt3 audio interface at any day. (presonus)
but again: all our uses differ / generalisations not exactly possible.

Dealing extensively -realtime- with FX “can” bring other problems to town, from what i had to observe. The overall Databus speed becomes at some point of work “a topic”.
A topic, mostly undiscussed on forums, imo.
M1mac was ok. I´d say the m2pro (i´m on now) is good.
…for extensive FX work, with small-ish latencys, have also an eye on the overall databus speed.

I’ve owned Windows and Mac, iPhone and Android.

Being a tinkerer, I find the irritations and limitations on Apple devices to significantly outweigh the benefits for me. I feel trapped and frustrated in the Apple “walled garden” while others feel safe and warm. Neither view is right or wrong. It’s a tradeoff.

That said, Apple products are much better suited to people who just want an appliance type device. And without a doubt the operating system is better designed for real time audio. But it comes at a price in terms of $$ and flexibility.

Going the PC route requires more effort and more homework, but for a given price point you’ll (generally) get a more capable system going PC.

If you want the tablet-style route another option to consider is a very small form factor PC with a touch display. @David-san has some experience in that area.

2 Likes

I am in the film/video/live entertainment industry.

It used to be a Mac dominated world.

In 2018 I shifted to Windows for a lot of reasons, freedom of GPUs just one of them… and I am in no way compelled to go back.

@Vindes pointed out the main consideratons. Within Windows, you just need to do a bit more homework and make sure you are working wtih a cruft-free computer but there is a lot of upside to Windows.

2 Likes

Isn’t it a good job we support both platforms! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That’s right. Yes, I just bought a Geekom IT11 i71195G7 (with 64Gb RAM and a 2Tb SSD) which works flawlessly with GP:

And I use the 14” HDMI touchscreen Wimaxit M1400CT with GP (not the M1410CT which has less luminosity), which costs only a fraction of the price of a tablet:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WIMAXIT-Portable-Monitor-1920×1080-Computer/dp/B08JPR1YL5

4 Likes

Also available in France. 749 €.

Geekom France

The Wimaxit displays are also available on Amazon.fr. 199 € for the 14". 239 € for the 15.6".

When bought from geekom.fr, it doesn’t come from France, but from a European warehouse, which avoids customs clearance.