Windows 11 crashes due to an update KB5012653

Due to a .NET framework bug that was damaged when upgrading to Windows 11 KB5012643, Microsoft strongly recommends uninstalling this update until a patch is released.

1 Like

I slightly changed the title.

3 Likes

Thank you, I am often annoyed with titles :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

As Microsoft has noted, it might cause issues for certain 3rd party apps that use certain optional components in .NET 3.5 such as Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) and Windows Workflow (WWF) components. There were no code damages and there is a workaround in addition to uninstalling the update. I have this update installed and it has not caused any problems for me, and has solved an issue that I had with certain video subtitles.

You can read more about it from Microsoftā€™s Knowledge Base article on the update, including the issues that were fixed by the update, some of the issues caused by the update, and their recommended fixes where applicable at the link provided below. You can also research the KB article for comments provided by other vendors and bloggers if interested.

My caveat on these types of things is it is not good policy to make blanket ā€˜all is badā€™ statements on any vendorā€™s updates as they are created to fix problems that enough users are experiencing that makes it imperative to do so. Iā€™m sure the developers of GP have some good stories about their experiences with updates too. Microsoftā€™s specific recommendation is to uninstall the update if you are having problems caused by the update and do not wish to use the provided workaround. In my case I donā€™t, it fixed an issue I was experiencing, so I have no plans to uninstall it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/april-25-2022-kb5012643-os-build-22000-652-preview-43a75ee7-d857-4943-a2b9-f961538bd2b0

Updates to any OS or software always imply that particular conditions or circumstances result in one-off malfunctions requiring patches to address these cases.

it is not good policy to make blanket ā€˜all is badā€™ statements on any vendorā€™s updates

There was never any mention of this in this post, which only says to uninstall this update if Windows crashes.
However, it is a matter of warning those who take the risk of doing an update, for example shortly before a live performance, which one might be tempted to do knowing that it could cause problems. :wink:

This update did not cause you any problems, but your case is not necessarily the same as others: the complexity of the elements that come into play to create a malfunction does not allow us to affirm that such or such component or application will not be impacted, and not to mention updates or installations of other components or applications that add their own risks.

If Microsoft has published this warning, it is certainly not without reason and it is not in their interest to denigrate their own work. When a manufacturer or developer makes such an announcement, I think itā€™s important to share it even if you donā€™t think youā€™re concerned, especially since itā€™s not often that Microsoft makes this kind of announcement (that was privately transferred to me by an IT manager of a major company in the education sector).

I am the first to recognise the enormous amount of work that Microsoft is doing to maintain the stability of an OS that is mainly aimed at a neophyte public looking for features that can only make this OS more cumbersome. The only reproach I could make to Microsoft is to propose a ā€œPROā€ Windows which is full of things that have nothing to do with a professional use (games, xbox, etc) :grimacing:

In any case, thanks to your testimony, this is one more proof of the reliability of GP which is built like a tank and stands firm against all odds :star_struck:

I agree, they should made the Pro version without the gaming elements. Perhaps also the Music mode, instead of Game mode.

Anyway, I donā€™t update before making the full backup (system image). Once in every couple of months when I have free time.

Others offer their own modified versions of Windows which are just thatā€”superlite, compact, without many of the gaming options. While I have a legit Win license, I choose to use a mod version of Windows. Itā€™s much more efficient than the stock version.

Interesting. Who does this and how do you ensure thereā€™s no malware?

Ensuring safety is always tricky when it comes to modded versions of OS. The particular version I use comes with many recommendations, and is quite popular for its compact and superlite versions of Windows. Considering my gig laptops rarely even touch the internet, Iā€™m not very concerned. Also, malware tends to slow down machines, which is the opposite of what this OS does.

Hereā€™s a video describing the version I use. I wont link to the product directly on your forum, but its easy enough to find for interested parties. (You can jump ahead here to get past all the installation portion of the video and into the features)

These types of issues are complex, but as many forum members have said multiple times in multiple places, you shouldnā€™t be installing any changes whatsoever if you have a gig or other event coming up and you need to insure/depend on your current configuration continuing to work as it has been working.

I use a Surface Pro 8 made by Microsoft as you would know. Is there anything about my SP 8 hardware that would prevent me installing one of these lighter builds?

Personally, to keep Windows performing at its best, I use a somewhat simplistic method that has always seemed effective: I install Windows (an official unmodified Pro version), the necessary peripherals, drivers and applications for audio, apply the Ultimate Guide optimization and then save a system image.

In this sense, once optimized, it could be seen as a WAM (Windows Audio Mod version) :slightly_smiling_face:

When I feel that my computer starts to be significantly slower at startup and in use, or if I encounter any suspicious situations, I reinstall the original image.

But I do not use an incremental image. Why?
Because over time the computer becomes weighed down with an incredible amount of information that can also contradict each other and create unfortunate interactions.

Just one example among many: if you use a program like usboblivion which is normally used to repair usb disks or flashdrives, you will discover that Windows stores information every time a usb device is used, which can end up with several hundred keys in the registry.

Using a system image created at the start of the installation allows you to start on a sound and solid basis.

But the disadvantage is that you have to reinstall everything that has been added in the meantime (peripherals, programs, plugins, etc.) and do all the updates.

I prefer to use this method which, at least psychologically, reassures me about the stability and performance of the system . And in any case I do it regularly to benefit from the improvements of the various updates.

1 Like

This is not legal.

Anyway, I always prefer to optimize Windows myself. I donā€™t like the idea that someone else is stripping it down.

1 Like

That is why I did not link directly to the modified OS itself.
However, if we are to be honest about which versions of Windows provide the best performance and most customizable options (including indefinite suspension of updates!), modified OS versions have to be a serious part of the conversation.

While it is surely illegal to distribute modified versions of Windows, it is unlikely to be illegal for an individual to modify it themselves for their own personal use.

But I was just curious as I wasnā€™t aware that other than for malware purposes, people were modifying Windows to make it work better.

1 Like

I donā€™t want to hijack this thread any more than I already have, so Iā€™ve sent you a private message.