Win 10 Update 2004 build

A heads up to Win 10 users:

I updated to the 2004 build this morning, and upon completion and launch of GP, I was prompted again for my user name and license code. I was not able to successfully enter my previous code, as GP tells me I have no more activations remaning on that license code.

So it appears that GP is recognizing the new Win 10 2004 build as a different machine… at least it did for me. You might want to deactivate your GP activation prior to upgrading to the 2004 build.

To @dhj can you reset the activations for my account? I had to deactivate the license on my backup machine to get my main machine back up and running. I anticipate you’ll be getting more of these type requests.

The same issue here. It seems that the 2004 is a major update. It re-installed drivers for all the USB(MIDI) devices attached to the Surface Pro.

I’ve just come across the same issue after upgrading to WIn 10 build 2004. I raised a ticket #138 but if someone could reset my activation count that would be great. Currently I can’t start it at all.

Jim

2004 is a major update. Considering all the problems going to 1903 and 1909 from the stability of 1809 it is recommended not installing this update until it is stable.

With major OS updates many of the plugin license mechanisms detect they are running on a “different” system and they need to be re-registered.

1 Like

I installed win 2004 in my dedicated “sandbox” windows partition.

At this time, apart from GP (deactivated before installation), all my plugins work, including those with
iLok or others protections.
I hope I have not forgotten any :grimacing:

I keep on stressing GP with insane handlings while playing Justin Bieber tunes in the audio file player.
Gp is really not spiteful…

I forgot to deactivate GP in my 2nd Windows machine, and the same happened to it.

Good Grief - I’m just finding out about this now after updating 2 PCs I haven’t used with GP in months. I’m so glad I didn’t update the 3rd because of Cubase 10 pro (as well). Is there a procedure for “reactivation” on the other two PCs?

I deactivated GP in preparation for this update, and then I find that it gets stuck at 61% every time. Its been well reported on the net, but no fix so far that works. Anyone else had this problem?

As I recall, you have a Surface Pro, and I know there were blocks on updating those devices to the 2004 build until very recently. Make sure your device has updated drivers, no anti-virus etc.

I’d also remove anything that is connected to it while attempting the update–including taking it out of the docking station. The fewer the variables, the better.

Edm11 - Thanks for the tips. You’d think the Surface Pro being a Microsoft product would be no problem for this update. No dock involved and no anti virus except MS Defender; does that count? You mentioned blocks being lifted - I can’t see any on the update page. Not sure what else to do, but there are a lot out there same as me and can’t get past 61%.

My ASUS updated with no problems at all. And, I didn’t deactivate GP. The best part of all is I can use my iLok dongle again. For the last year I would get the Blue Screen of Death if I inserted the dongle. I was just about to wipe the disk and reload Windows when 2004 arrived. After I updated I decided to try the dongle for the hell of it…Voila! Now I can use Pro Tools again!

Solved!
I went to:

https://atomicit.ca/kb/articles/how-to-purge-the-windows-update-cache/#:~:text=The%20Update%20Cache%20is%20a,%3A\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download.
I made up the batch file to purge the update cache. I ran that bat file to clear the cache and then update ran normally. I’ll report back if there are any problems.

I spoke too soon. While it downloaded fine, the update once again gets stuck at 61%. I guess it’s up to MS to fix this issue. Will leave it running for a while to see what happens.

Windows, like marriage: for better or worse :grin:

This general problem with Windows update trashing GP licencing is turning into a real pain. I had a problem a few months ago when without any warning WU decided to update one of my 2 machines that use GP (the desktop test computer in this case) with a major update and turned the computer into an unbootable oversized paperweight as a result.

After spending a week trying to recover it from the backup (which turned out to be invalid - a lesson learned!) I had to give up and re-install Windows from scratch (an unpleasant experience given the level of tuning!). Needless to say GP didn’t work and I had to ask for help from Deskew and they very helpfully sorted me out with a new licence.

Yesterday a similar thing unexpectedly happened with my laptop. Apart from an innocuous message when switching off to say ‘Update and shut down’ there was no indication that it was going to result in a 3 hour marathon which would ultimately result in the message "Please authorize you copy of Gig Performer’. I decided to try the same new licence Deskew sent me a few months ago and luckily it did actually work.

But here is the problem. I only play for fun - so the dekstop and laptop are connected to the Internet all the time - so updates are no big deal(???) Windows updates seem to happen quite regularly throughout the month (at least 2) and usually they are trivial and are over and done with in a few minutes. But occasionally they are major upgrades and there is no easy way to tell what they are. Its not reasonable that every time I switch off and see an 'update messag’e on shutdown that I have to go back and check to see what WU chaos is happening ‘this time’ (because you can’t stop it - WU will happen eventually whether you like it or not!). This would be just in case I need to deactiveate GP. I have never had this problem with any other program in 20 years.

It seems to me that its up to Deskew how they choose to manage their licencing - I totally agree that its necessary. But I do feel that there ought to be a better workaround for end users to manage the situation - as having to send a support ticket is not exactly user friendly.

It occurred to me that there is one extra piece of unique information available in the invoice when GP is purchased - and that is the redemption code which starts with ‘id…’. So would it be possible to create a small utility that uses this number plus the email address and the last normal GP licence code to automaticall reenable GP. All the same checks could apply.

Just a thought!

Thank you for these comments. We did address these issues and in most cases the situation is improved. However - if you do this:

all bets are off. If you reinstall Windows from scratch all your licenses will be lost and if you are installing windows from scratch you should deactivate all the software on that computer first

Tips (working for me) about Windows updates:

• In Windows update parameters: check “ask before applying update”
  • Before updating, create a restoration point then update Windows.
  • If you lost GP activation, restore Windows, deactivate GP, update Windows, reactivate GP.

It is a useful habit to get into because:

• It takes few minutes
  • It avoids wasting time
  • It prevents from getting grey hairs (mine are already white) :grinning:
1 Like

I’ve completely disabled Windows update.
I update it in two-three months when I decide (I make a complete system backup before the update).

Yeah, it almost makes me want to call Microsoft and complain to them about doing that! :face_vomiting:

More seriously, we do understand the concern. However, while I don’t want to get philosophical, copy protection is one of those areas where you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Picking (or developing) the right copy protection mechanism requires numerous tradeoffs. If we were to allow resets the way you suggest, then essentially a less than honest user could just share that information with his/her friends, or even on the web, thereby allowing lots of people to pirate/steal GP.

On the other hand, if we went to something like iLok or some other dongle, then apart from the extra cost to GP to cover that cost (iLok is not cheap for developers), then you run into other issues when you tour…e.g., imagine being on a tour, arriving for sound check and discovering that the dongle got dropped/lost/broken at the last show. Or you don’t have enough ports to plugin the dongle- or one of your USB ports dies (that last has happened to me!)

As musicians ourselves, these are risks we just won’t take ourselves and we don’t believe we should force such a solution on others.

We do evaluate and tweak the process as time goes on and if we can figure out ways to make it work more seamlessly without compromising the protection, we will.

1 Like