Widgets in Global Rackspace to change local Rackspace

Hi,

Basically I want 4 widgets in the Global Rackspace to change the “tone” of my guitar by activating local rackspaces.
See attached image for my setup.
Basically I want the Clean widget to activate my Clean Local Rackspace etc.

I could not figure out how this is possible?

I want to do this to be able to change the sound by pressing the widget on the touch screen, and also map my midi foot pedal TO the widget.

2 Likes

Welcome to the GP-Family! :beers:

As far as i know, we don’t have a possibility to directly address (and activate) a racspace randomly… there is only a next/previous function in the “Systems Action” plugin, but this won’t actually help you.

I would try using a Global Rackspace Script…
One could read the caption of the widget and try to activate the rackspace with the same name.
I think, this would be a quite convenient way to go.

Maybe it also could be done with using program change messages internally…

This can actually be done without scripting if you’re willing to use songs

Step 1

1. Add your pads to the global rackspace
  2. Insert a System Action block into the global rackspace
  3. Map the pads to the SelectPartOrVar parameters respectively - see example image
  4. Create a song with four parts and map each part to the appropriate rackspace

Now, when you click those pads, you can switch song parts which will switch rackspaces

2023-02-03 08-30-22.2023-02-03 08_31_02

I’ve attached a simple gig file that you can examine to see what I did
SwitchRackspacesFromPads.gig.zip (17.8 KB)

2 Likes

I wrote a little global-script which will do the job as described.
At the moment there are five pad widgets on the global rackspace panel which will work to switch to a rackspace (variation 1) according to their widget caption (use the custom caption property)…
If there isn’t a rackspace with that name, nothing will happen.
In the example gig file i have five pads but seven rackspaces - you can just re-label a widget with a name of a diffrent rackspace to make it switch to this.

Global Rackspace Selector.gig (130.6 KB)

This is the code of the Global Rackspace script:

var
RS_select_1, RS_select_2, RS_select_3, RS_select_4, RS_select_5 : widget
RS_selectors : widget array = [RS_select_1, RS_select_2, RS_select_3, RS_select_4, RS_select_5]

On WidgetValueChanged (sWidget : widget, sIndex : integer, sVal : double) from RS_select_1, RS_select_2, RS_select_3, RS_select_4, RS_select_5
    SwitchToRackspaceByName(GetWidgetLabel (sWidget), 0)
End

That’s all… it’s a bit quick & dirty, but it does the job!
If it was more sophisticated, the pads would stay lit and it would work bidirectionally (change a rackspace manually and the according pad would switch ON)… but i don’t have much time at the moment to cast more powerful spells… :nerd_face: :grin: :wink: :magic_wand:
Maybe there is another wizard in the castle who will do this… :mage:

4 Likes

That’s awesome! Thanks guys. Really appreciate it!

2 Likes

Can anyone help me how to get the widgets to actually stay on when being pressed. Now I can only press and it changes rack, but it doesn’t stay illuminated. :slight_smile:

If you’re using a Pad Button widget, you’ll want to disable the Momentary Touch setting for that widget.

He’ll need radio buttons for this to work properly.

So I am using the script written further up. Can I just change to radio buttons and will that solve it?

Radio buttons can only achieved via scripting or using an extension… this means, the running script had to be extended with a “radio buttons” part. Beyond this there also should be an addition to the script to handle a manual change of a rackspace… if not you could run into a situation where the rackspace button A is active but rackspcae D is actually selected.

Yeah that sound about right. Also I change Rackspace based upon PC bank from a Midi Controller.
The reason I want to have the buttons on the global Rackspace illuminated when the Rackspace is active, is so that I can use OSC to see if the Rackspace actually is active. Also I could probably be able to mirror it back to my midi controller.

So this is how my OSC looks like. do have the RacspaceName in the text field, however it would be really convenient to get the squared buttons illuminated as well since they have the same setup as my midi foot controller.

…i am on it… patience please! :mage: :laughing: :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Ok… to add the radio-button functionality wasn’t too difficult to do - this works now.
Global Rackspace Selector_V2.gig (131.6 KB)

…but i just couldn’t get the other way around to work properly… chose a rackspace and then light the corresponding button, or if there is no button with the activated rackspaces name, just clear them all.
This f*ing script always ended in an infinite loop or did other unexpected things.
I guess, most of the time these unregularities might have been caused by “race situations”, but maybe my poor brain is just too clogged by viruses - “enjoying” my personal Covid infection V2.0 at the moment. :sneezing_face: :mask:
…maybe one of the other Scripting-Gurus can give us a helping hand here? :innocent:

2 Likes

Yuk - feel better soon.

2 Likes

Thanks, will have a look at it.

I hope that your personal antivirus will help very soon :beers:

2 Likes

Get well soon, @schamass :mask:

1 Like

I’ve added some scripting for having it working the other way around. Is this what you intend?

Global Rackspace Selector_V2_0_1.gig (134.5 KB)

1 Like

Tried it fast now, looks promising. Will try to integrate it into my gig file and see how it works with OSC etc.

1 Like