Which Win Notebook is recommendable

I know that, for that reason I asked for the model
of notebook others are using successfully.
My above mentioned HP Pavilion is generally working with my set up (after modification) but I guess it’s on its „limit“. Sometimes I got some problems even if the CPU is showing not more as 60% (on peek). (with Keyscape for example)
If I have a look on the kernels in the task manager I can see that the work is not well shared,

Hi,

I guess you meant the system from schamass, right?

Sorry man, i totally forgot this… i’ll have to check the invoice first, because i can’t remember all the details anymore. I will come back to you this afternoon. :innocent:

Yes, that’s correct. Thanks!

Cool, thanks!

Ok, here we go…
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-9700K
RAM: Corsair DIMM 32 GB DDR4-3600 Kit
Mainboard: MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK Z390
SSD1: Mushkin Pilot-E 1 TB, SSD (M.2)
SSD2: Patriot Viper VPN100 M.2 1 TB, SSD
Power Supply: be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 CM 550W
Cooling Unit: Corsair Hydro H115i PRO RGB 280mm watercooling set
Display: Lenovo L22E-20, Gaming-Monitor (cheap, all buttons on the front, all connectors on the back and pointing downwards, VESA fixing points)
The suitcase i used is this one:

But if i’d had to do it again, i would choose a case with a bit more height… it’s very, very tight in there!
I disassembled an old PC-case and cut out the bottom plate with all the fixing points for the mainboard, then i simply glued it into the suitcase (after i was really sure that everything else had enough space and was accessible as well). For the rest i built a frame of aluminium-profiles and covered the top with aluminium sheet-metal.
The suitcase has a Powercon socket for the main power connection (the other components are “hardwired” to this) and i placed two XLR-sockets which are connected to the balanced outs of the audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo). The audio interface has still to be integrated somehow, but i not yet sure of how to do it… build it in vertically (for that i had to cut out a piece of the top frame) or hide it under a lid which would open by just pressing the on top (i already bought some spring-supported push openers for furniture). We will see… :smiley:
Oh, and i had to use two dampers for the lid of the suitcase to keep it in place (30N are good for this!)
Some adaptors for LAN, 2nd video connection (Displayport to HDMI), USB-Hub, flat profile TRS-plugs for the audio cables (lack of space & height)…
So, i hope this answers your questions - if there should be more… just ask. :wink:
Cheers!
Erik

6 Likes

@Flodder
There are many parameters to take into account for optimal use in audio applications.
One very important element that has not been detailed here is the choice of processor: you could choose a very expensive computer with a latest generation i7 processor that would not have the necessary performance.

Your computer has an i5-8265U processor: the simple fact that it has the letter U on it shows that this processor is not made to be powerful but to be energy efficient, which is to be avoided when using avc GP or any other resource-intensive program.

Take a look at this page which will help you to choose a processor adapted to your needs.

Intel® Processor Names and Numbers

A little late to the party, but here’s my laptop:
5 yr old Dell XPS15 9550 running Win10 Home
i5-6300HQ
32GB RAM
1TB SSD

The only issues I’ve had have been user ignorance/error.

If I were to start over it would be a Dell XPS13 with a similar configuration.

I just stumbled upon THIS:
(and i thought my suitcase-PC was fat :open_mouth:)

More information here:
https://expanscape.com/the-aurora-7-prototype/the-story-of-the-aurora-7/

4 Likes

That is awesome!!

I do not want even to know the price for this tank!

I guess the price could have 5 digits or will be at least close to that.

battery life: 23 seconds

So many? Enough to start Windows and GP and to load half of a rackspace…

Short Update for users facing issues with CPU usage of GP with a not so powerful computer; even if it is mentioned often in other threads I did not took it in consideration; until now…
Using a second instance of GP helps a lot!
As I understand GP is using just one core of the computer per Rackspace due to dependency’s.
As I have the whole band running through GP I splittend now the instruments and the microphones with all its effects. Instruments are running in the first instance and vocals in the second.
That enables me to use plugins for each vocal/ micro, which was not possible by using just one Rack/ Instance for this set up.
Great function!

5 Likes

Hello,

I will bring this up once again.
My notebook is not able to handle all the plugins anymore.
Not easy to find the right device if you want to pay what ever is needed, but not too much…
My IT colleague had the idea to use a fast graphic card if it is possible to tell GP to use this (GPU instead of CPU).
Can somebody from the GP guys tell me if this is possible?

Thanks!
Flodder

I am no developper, but i guess that the calculation of sounds has to be done by the plugin itself and not by the host - so as long as there are no plugins which support this feature, there will be not much that GP could profit from.
But there is an interesting (German) article on www.gearnews.de about this topic:
Braingines GPU Audio berechnet VST3 Plug-ins auf der Grafikkarte? | gearnews.de

Yes, thats exactly what I asked for. If that would work I just would need to add an external grafic card. I guess the plug ins or GP or both are not made for this yet…

That’s what i think too… but the article is some kind of promising.
Maybe with your next notebook… :wink:

Just ordered a new notebook with following performance, should be ok for the coming gigs :slightly_smiling_face:
DISPLAY:
15,6 inch Full HD 1920x1080 IPS 60Hz matte
GRAPHICS CARD:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
PROCESSOR:
Intel Core i5-10400 | 12MB Cache | 2.90~4.30 GHz | 6C/12T | HT | TDP 65W
THERMAL COMPOUND:
CPU / GPU with MASTERGEL PRO V2
MEMORY RAM:
32GB (1x 32GB) DDR4 2666MHz Samsung
SSD (M.2 2280) PCIe 3.0 x4:
512GB Intel 660p SSD M.2 | PCIe 3.0 x4 | NVMe | R/W 1500/1000 MB/s