What's the best workflow? (variations to rackspace)

I’m busy programming a lot of songs, and I encountered several time the following ‘problem’.

Assume I have a typical hammond/piano rackspace (upper keyboard hammond, lower keyboard piano). I create a new variation (to make the drawbars and some others settings adjustable per variation), like below:

However, then I need for one rackspace variation another change, which means I need to make it a separate rackspace.

What I now do, is copying the rackspace, and remove all unneeded variations like below:

• Duplicate selected rackspace:

• Removing all variations

• Renaming rackspace name to the original variation name, and call the variation ‘all’:

Is this the best workflow?
(later I might have 10+ variations which I every time have to remove). I also can make a separate rackspace without variations to duplicate from, but wondering if there are other solutions (like convert variation to (new) rackspace).

You can use SetList Mode and save widget changes in a snapshot.

1 Like

I know, but there are more changes than just a widget, like for this song a violin needs to be added.

In your screenshot you name the rackspace Hammond / Grandeur_1
and in the variations you give song names.

Why not use a rackspace for a song and in the variations you switch the sounds needed for the song?

I think I made my description too unclear.

In the first screenshot I use variations as song. The reason is that the setup is the same (except for some small changes which I handle with widgets). So all the songs using Hammond + Piano use the same rackspace. This is easy, because if I want to change something ‘generic’ I only have to do it once (like changing the reverb for all songs at once, or some setting to improve the hammond or piano sound).

However, sometimes I need to add an instrument to a song (in my case: variation). Since I don’t want to use a widget for that (for bypassing, whatever), I want it to become a new rackspace (like it should be). However, it is not possible to convert a variant into a rackspace. The only way (which I explained in my initial post), was to duplicate the entire rackspace including variations, then remove the unwanted variations, rename the rackspace and make the (only/default) variation name generic.

So I’m wondering if there is a better way to handle this.

I agree that it would be helpful to have a ‘Copy variation to New rackspace’ option in Panels/Rackspace view.

2 Likes

I think so too (however, not in Panels view, but in Rackspace view).

I don’t know if this helps, but I have some rackspaces that I call “Generic”. The main purposes of the rackspace is a starting point for new rackspaces.

So, in your case, maybe create a “Generic Piano/Organ Rackspace” and then duplicate it and modify it to suit specific songs in the future.

Jeff

1 Like

Thanks for that solution, and it’s exactly what I just did :slight_smile: (called it TEMPLATE Hammond/Piano to make it stand out, as there will be more templates). And the rackspaces starting with > will be divided for multiple songs (like in my same screenshot).

So glad I could help !(Nice change of pace. I’m always the one asking for help. Hah! ;))

And your title and use of ALLCAPS is great. I’ll steal it! (Actually there are several good ideas in your post I need to consider).

3 Likes

Same here (also mostly asking questions, well like this).
Feel free to use my ideas.