What computers are people using?

With reference to my recent post regarding a laptop problem causing audio glitching, after much tugging of hair and grinding of teeth, we have decided the laptop we bought for GP is just not up to the job.
It seems many laptops are designed more for power saving and ease of use rather than performance.

With that in mind, we need a new computer. We can either go with a laptop or desktop, although for live use, if we go the desktop route we may do our own build in a rackmount/flightcase package.

What are other GP users using live, and are they problem free?
I think an i7 or i9 based machine with 32/64gb RAM is probably the best bet, but I’m open to suggestions.
This problem has wasted us months and we want to get back to doing hassle-free gigs.

Rob

Useful threads:

1 Like

Also Mac laptops and Mac mini. The latter often gets built into racks

1 Like

Yes, I use a rack-mounted Mac mini.

1 Like

I use an i7 quad core gaming laptop, with 32gb RAM. Make sure the processor you get is made for high performance. That will come with improved cooling. Stay away from any/all things ‘power efficient’.

1 Like

2015 Macbook Pro: quad-core i7, 500gb SSD and 16GB ram. No audio interface. Rock solid.

As @npudar Nemanja has indicated, you really should use your fingers and do some searching through the numerous threads on this topic - and there are a lot. Some even have some fantastically useful photographs of their setups in racks, backpacks and flight cases that provide plenty of visual food for thought. When you have it narrowed down and not reinventing the wheel you can get plenty of help on any of the specifics.

1 Like