Volume Spikes when switching rackspaces and using "audio tail"

Audio tail is a great feature to blend one sound into the next. Unfortunately the tail is added to the signal of the new rackspace rather than blended, so if I keep playing when switching rack spaces more often than not I am fighting with volume spikes. Which usually makes me put the tail length to as short as possible.

Ideally there would not just be a tail length feature, but also a tail level feature…? Or am I doing something wrong?

Using what plugins to you experience this?
Win or Mac?

1 Like

I‘m on a Mac, running guitar amps into a mixer and there adding reverb, delays, pitch.
I‘ll do more thorough tests and come back with more detail.

I found the same thing and concluded you can’t play through the rackspace change. You need a pause in your playing. If this can’t be done you’d have to expand a single rackspace to manage the different sounds.

1 Like

Did you try patch persist?

1 Like

I tried both. I think it is especially when I go from a distorted sound (compressed) to a clean one (very dynamic). if the very full tail of the distorted sound tail hits the clean sound then it’s the most extreme.

And what would you like should be done by Gig Performer in this situation?

Ideally there would be a parameter for a limiter in the fade over phase, depending on how long that is set, so that the signal is max’ed at a certain level. Or a crossfade rather than signal addition, with an adjustable intensity.

So if I go from Lead distortion to rhythm distortion, I would not use cross fade, so the rhythm is tight, but if I go from a overdrive solo with lots of delay to a clean part, I would use the crossfade.

I have no idea if that would fix it though, it would probably require testing.

Getting back to this one. I changed my approach of switching between rack spaces and rather using one rackspace (per song) and switch between variations. Like this there is no issue and the spill over is seamless.

So I’d say my issue is a non issue now

3 Likes

Resurrecting this old thread.

It is most definitely an issue. My particular issue is when I want the delay trails to keep going after changing to a sound without delay in another Rackspace. I guess I can put everything in one Rackspace. However, one of the points of the spillover is to do exactly what I’m doing and it doesn’t work well in that scenario.

It seems like when you have the tails on and switch to a new Rackspace, the “tailing” sound is added to the new sound, not mixed. Maybe I’m over simplifying, but I have numerous digital processors (Helix, Quad Cortex, other effects pedals) that allow you to turn on “tails” and none of them cause a volume jump…in other words, It is possible to do this.

In the rackspace properties, do you have the input tail set to 0s? This ensures no new input is being processed from the old rackspace when you switch.

Yes. I’ve played with every variation on timing. This has been a problem since GP3, but I just dealt with it.

The sound spike doesn’t last the entire transition time. In other words, if I set the output to 5 seconds, the spike is only on the initial Rackspace change…it only last less than a second (not 5). But it’s usually very noticeable.

I don’t understand this difference. Are you suggesting you want some intelligent levelling of the two signals?

The ability to “Input Mute” was only added in GP4. IMO this is the biggest requirement for guitar players, as you want an instant cut-over of the guitar DI input from the old to the new rackspace.

This sounds like an important observation. So you’re saying you don’t get the issue on any rackspace changes after the first one you make after opening the gig file?

As an experiment, I generated a sine wave from one GP instance, using virtual audio ports to route it to another instance. On this second instance, I had multiple rackspaces, with Input Muting at 0s, Output Muting at 5s.

From this second instance, I then routed the audio to Reaper, where I recorded the result.
There was no audio spikes. Only a very short fade out/fade in when the rackspaces changed. I had asked about this before, and I believe the very short fade out/in is intentional to avoid clicks.

Correct

I’m not suggesting a solution, I don’t know enough to come up with an answer. What I’m saying is that it sounds like the the two signals are summed (hence the boost) for a short period of time, then the spike goes away. It’s the difference between summing two audio signals and mixing them. Maybe I’m using the wrong terms, but when I have two inputs into a mixer when I add a third it doesn’t get louder the 3rd sounds is mixed in relative to the others. This appears to not happen for a split second upon switching rackspaces.

Okay. All I know is I’ve been using GP since v3 and this has always been an issue.

No. It happens every time I switch a rackspace and want the reverb/delay from the previous backspace to ring out. I’m saying it only happens for less than a second…enough for an audio spike, then everything returns to normal.

I don’t know if your experiment proves anything since it’s not the situation I’m talking about. Did you have a reverb or delay with some sort of long decay (feedback)? That’s where the problem lies. If the signals are dry there’s no issue. I want the delay to decay as it would normally when I switch to a new rackpace.

It sounds like everyone is telling me I’m making this up. I’m not. I assure you there’s a short spike in volume and it’s been this way for years. Every other digital device I own or have ever used allows you to turn on trails with reverb and delay (they might call is “spillover” or something else) and it’s a smooth transition with the reverb/delay. With GP that is not the case. The only time I don’t get a volume spike is when the in/out’s are set to 0 or their audio is dry (no reverb or delay). Of course, these settings equal NO reverb/delay trails, which is the whole point.

I will add this is not a “pop”. I occasionally get those when switching between two rackspaces with very different gain levels which is somewhat expecting and inevitable. I’m talking about a quick increase in the volume of the signals.

Do you route from/to the global rackspace, or just keep everything within the local rackspace?

Local Rackspace.

This is not an issue with the Global Rackspace. However using the Global is not always a solution of the reverb/delay is built into the amp sim plugin I’m using.

Is there a gig file you’d be happy to share, so I can take a look at how things are set up?
And/or a recording of the rackspace change?

First of all, you’re not making it up. This issue has been discussed many times in the past.

You will of course get a brief rise of volume if you keep playing through the rackspace change, because you are adding the signal of the delay trail to the signal of the new rackspace. When the switch happens, the delay trail of the first rackspace is still at a db level where will give a slight boost to the db level of the second rackspace.

You can either A) not play through the rackspace change for a 1/2 second or so, or you could also B) script a slight volume fade-in for the second rackspace when activated to account for that 1/2 second or so of additive db from the delay trail.

I personally have just learned to not play straight through a rackspace change to give the trail time to decay enough where its not giving a significant db boost to the overall signal.

1 Like