Using the New TouchOSC on an iPad Air 4

Can someone please either take some screenshots along with instructions in basic terms on how to setup OSC on my iPad which is connected to my MacBook Pro via USB so that I can communicate with Gig Performer 4?

I have already successfully set up both MIDI and OSC communicating to my MacBook Pro. I used the Protokol app to ensure both MIDI and OSC are transmitting and I have successfully used Touch OSC on my iPad to control both fader and knob widgets with MIDI. However after reading the manual, looking on YouTube to find video tutorials, I cannot get OSC to do anything. I want to be able to see my widgets move on my iPad instead of looking at the screen of my MacBook Pro. There is an older video showing the use of a guitar tuner and some widgets BUT it is using an earlier version of Gig Performer.

Iā€™ve worked with MIDI but for whatever reason, it is not clicking with TouchOSC and it looks like it should be easy to setup. Any help is appreciated. There was a good thread already posted from someone asking for help with their faders not working with OSC but those replies were from people already family with (in my opinion) advanced OSC programming and probably scripting knowledge. I hope to get there one day.

Thank you in advance.

Rather than just saying it didnā€™t work, could you perhaps tell us exactly what you did to try to make it work?

2 Likes

So, confirming that you have things working correctly in one direction (TouchOSC to MacBook) but not from the MacBook to TouchOSC?

Sure thing. Iā€™m at work now but will take screen shots later on and post to help be more precise. Thank you.

That is correct. I am at work now so I will have to post screen shots to help be more precise later. I am stuck with getting the OSC assignment name in Gig Performer to match the name in the OSC app. For example: fader1 needs to match fader1 in the OSC app in order for it to work. The confusion for me is what exactly needs to be typed in each? I have 2 knobs (widgets) which are using the Global parameter in Gig Performer and 2 faders that are not. I saw an example like for the knobsā€¦in my OSC app the knob is listed as radial1. So when I go to Gig Performer to the OSC assignment, do I input radial1/GlobalRackspace/SetValue? What exactly do I need to type in Gig Performer and what exactly do I need to type in the OSC app to make them recognize each other? I hope this makes better sense.

I am just copying my reply that I posted to another member here as it gives a better description now though Iā€™m at work. ā€œI am stuck with getting the OSC assignment name in Gig Performer to match the name in the OSC app. For example: fader1 needs to match fader1 in the OSC app in order for it to work. The confusion for me is what exactly needs to be typed in each? I have 2 knobs (widgets) which are using the Global parameter in Gig Performer and 2 faders that are not. I saw an example like for the knobsā€¦in my OSC app the knob is listed as radial1. So when I go to Gig Performer to the OSC assignment, do I input radial1/GlobalRackspace/SetValue? What exactly do I need to type in Gig Performer and what exactly do I need to type in the OSC app to make them recognize each other? I hope this makes better sense.ā€

By default, GP has a fixed format for the OSC address it needs for the widget (e.g. with the SetValue on the end).

You therefore need to manually update the address in TouchOSC to match it.

In GP widget settings (Advanced tab), if youā€™ve entered a name called ā€œradial1ā€ it will then display the full address to the right:

In TouchOSC you have to manually change the default OSC address for the radial control to match:

If youā€™re creating a lot of controls/widgets, then itā€™s probably best to use the ā€˜placeholdersā€™ in TouchOSC in order to use the ā€˜nameā€™ placeholder - which will automatically use the name of the control in TouchOSC. This will be more efficient if youā€™re duplicating a lot of them.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! Sorry in the delay in getting back to this post. I will give this try as soon as I get a chance and update back here.

Hey! I wanted t give you an update on my OSC situation. First off, THANK YOU for posting these screen shots as they were very helpful for me trying to figure out why I could not connect. That was part of the problem. After days of frustration, I figured out two major communication blocks. Although I do have a firewall, Gig Performer is allowed through BUT I also had a VPN running on both my Mac and iPad. The VPNs allowed the OSC signals to go through as indicated through the Protokol app (monitors both MIDI and OSC signals) so I didnā€™t think was an issue. Well it TURNED OUT to be an issue for sure! It was off accidentally and the OSC started working! To be sure, I then turned the VPN back on and it quit working again. The other major headache was the listening port issue for Gig Performer. I knew the IP address for Gig Performer was fixed and I thought the listening port was as well. Once I changed the port to match the same number as the active port displayed in the Protokol app, it worked! I havenā€™t hooked it back up yet and I am nervous about it not working again since the IP address for the iPad is dynamic I think. I link the iPad to my Mac via USB. What do I need to do so that I know the iPad will work each time without having to go through an extensive setup with Gig Performer when I am ready to play?