Using Regular Keyboard keystrokes To Navigate Rackspaces

Hi people!

For a project i am working on i am trying to do the following:

We are moving step by step through a series of rackspace variations. We used to do this by toggling them by using “next variation” tied to a midi note we sent from a footswitch into GIGperformer.

However, we recently switched to new footswitches (the previous ones were too noisy on stage) that send out regular keystrokes (arrow left, arrow right, for instance, basically we can assign any keyboard key to any pedal on the footswitch).

Now we are looking for a way to still achieve the same goal: press the pedal, and have it switch to the next variation of the rackspace, but we cannot find a way to have GP recognize and process the incoming information in a meaningful way.

So we thought we’d try to find a workaround: we opened akind of keyboard-plugin in GP that has you play your QWERTY as a musical keyboard, like on those old tracker programs, and use that to trigger the rackspace variations. However, it is not recognized as a dedicated MIDI-in port, so there is no way to tell GP where to look for that information, and MIDI-learn doesn’t work.

Does anybody have any clue how we can proceed to get this working?

A ‘Gig’ script can respond to keystrokes and then perform a function e.g. next/prev rackspace.

If you open the gig script editor (Window menu) and right click the editor window, the menu has some template scripts, including some keystroke examples.

Arrow keystrokes might not work (reserved) so you’re best configuring normal letter keystrokes to your switches.

1 Like

One example of that gig script is here: Gig Performer | The most flexible MIDI processing

2 Likes

Thanks you very much, that is very helpful!

Do you know if there is something like reapers “action-list” where i can see all the things i can for instance script key’s to?
For instance it could be useful to have a key to jump to a certain Variation or songpart, other then just the next.

Thanks for that example. Very helpful!

1 Like

The online help for GP script will list out the various functions. Some examples:

SwitchToRackspace

SwitchToSongByIndex

SetSongPart

1 Like

I don’t know if you’re on Mac or Windows but although it might cost you a few dollars, it might make a lot of sense for you to use the MIDI BOME Translator application to interpret your footpedal “keystrokes”

That translator would then convert those keystrokes into MIDI commands which you could then send into Gig Performer, have Widgets respond to them and trigger actions using the System Actions plugin, you may not even need to use GP Script

Your pedal keystrokes will only work when GP has the focus otherwise it won’t receive those “keyboard” commands.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your advice and tips.
It’s been appreciated!

I was not familiar with that program. I use midi bome ofcourse, but hadn’t heard of this translator application.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Hi,

The new version of Bome MIDI Translator has a new outgoing action to focus a given application, so if the application is not currently focused, you can have 2 translators with the same incoming trigger to make sure you are sending the keystroke to the right place.
First Translator to focus the application.
Second Translator to send the keystroke (after slight delay)

With that said, if the application supports MIDI natively, that option is probably the better outgoing action

Note on Windows platform you can also use “inject keystroke event” if the application exposes certain controls to accept the keystrokes. In this case application focus would not be required. I have not played around to see if GP exposes controls for this type of function yet , primarily because GP MIDI support is quite rich.

On Mac, you can use AppleScript as well.

Steve

2 Likes

Yes, take a look at the Keystroke callback. You can define key sequences which if recognized will run GPScript code

https://gigperformer.com/docs/GPScript40/content/reference/list-of-callbacks.html#Keystroke