Using EZdrummer 3 Grid Editor to Control GP

I’m testing out the new EZdrummer 3, and there’s some interesting possibilities with the new Grid Editor. I’ve never tried Superior Drummer 3, so perhaps this functionality has always been available?

The new Grid Editor in EZD3 has a timeline that can go up to 10,000 bars. In addition to the drum sequencer/editor, you can draw curves for any CC and have it either control the internal EZD3 mixer or send it out via its MIDI out port. If you do the latter, you can then use a simple scriptlet to pass these CC messages to GP’s ‘Local Port’, which means they can control widgets or even global MIDI options.

My first test is for it to trigger song part changes, by sending a CC toggle message to a widget in the global rackspace (which is connected to the Next parameter in the System Actions plugin).

This works well. I also tested using this method to fade out a GP mixer channel, which also worked well. If you’re doing a lot of button/pad triggers, it might be a lot easier to use the main drum editor rows (e.g. the Kick/Snare/Hi-Hat) and repurpose their Note messages to trigger the GP widgets. Using it this way would mean you would dedicate the entire EZD3 instance for the purpose of controlling GP. Whereas if you use the CC curves, you can still use the rest of EZD3 for drum tracks.

EDIT: Once you’re happy with the CC control track, you can also easily export the midi file from EZD3 and then run it in GP’s MIDI File Player.

7 Likes

Hiho! :beers:
I am thinking of buying EZDrummer 3, but i am not sure how well it interacts with GP…
especially regarding to automation and parameters.

I have watched some videos but there are still some questions:

• Is there a start/stop parameter for the " groove player" (or whatever name it has)? So that i can bind a widget to it…
  • Is there a way to play patterns/grooves in a loop and then just switch to another one, which then will be playing? In other plugins like Strike2 or Groove Agent, the patterns can be started/selected with diffrent note values - is there something like that, or is there only the “song mode”?

Thanks for any information on that! :sunglasses: :nerd_face:
Cheers, Erik

When you activate Follow Host, EZDrummer 3 is started/stopped via to global play button

It is possible in the plugin itself.
But cannot controlled via Widgets

Ok, so there is no separate play/stop-parameter for the plugin itself?
No biggie… but a bit disappointing too.

Some other questions that just came to my mind, since this so often drives me nuts in Strike or Groove Agent:

• Are there enough “usable” rythms/patterns available for the average bread&butter styles like blues, ballads, standard rock, song writing?
  • How easy can one find them?
  • Is there a good browser for that stuff?
  • How good/extensive are the expansions regarding to additional styles?

Unfortunately there is no trial version for EZDR3 and before i’ll spend 165€, i think it’d better to ask the community first. :beers:

It is amazing

…so it clearly looks like you are a happy customer?!
I think i’ll wait until tomorrow to finally pull the trigger on it - maybe there will be some additional statements from other users too. :slight_smile:

I own MODO Drums, SSD5, Superior Drummer 3, EZDrummer2 and EZDrummer3
And the most flexible is Superior Drummer 3 in Terms of Effects, Routing, Mic’s

The most versatile in creation your Snare, Kick etc is MODO because it is not sample based.

The best ready mixed Sounds is SSD5, but that is sometimes not optimal.

For creating Songs and finding the right groove and with the new Band Mate, EZDrummer3 is
maybe for you the best.
And all the expansions you can get separately you will find what you need.

1 Like

You can assign the play button in the plugin to a CC parameter and trigger it on/off from a widget.

1 Like

You can also add third party midi-only grooves that you access from within the UI. I have a few Groove Monkee loop packs that I use with it.

1 Like