Using external legacy Midi hardware synths and sound modules

I’ve been watching and learning a lot about Gig Performer. Seems to be primarily VI/Softsynth driven.

My Question: If not using any VI/softsynth plugins, will Gig Performer work solely with legacy external hardware synths and Midi sound modules as a Midi mapper-&-Setlist organizer: creating Midi zoning/Midi Mapping; sending out program changes, etc… like you would do with a rackmount hardware Midi Mapper such as a Yamaha MEP 4 or JLK Cooper Midi router/patch bay; SIPARIO-X Midi Mapper?

1 Like

Hiho, and welcome on board! :beers:

Will Gig Performer work solely with legacy external hardware synths and Midi sound modules as…?

From my point of view… yeah, why not?
Get a decent USB-MIDI interface with as many ports you need, then you can use and route all of the MIDI IN and OUT ports separately, organize every setup as a rackspace… each MIDI out module may even have it’s own patch-list (if you have those, or make those). There are extensive MIDI-manipulation possible (filtering & mapping). You could also use the setlist mode to use your rackspaces to be organized with songs and song parts… and if you shouldn’t find a solution for a certain problem, chances are good that you can solve that with the powerful scripting language of Gig Performer.
However, you could just download the trial version (fully works for 14 days) and see if it’s the tool for your purpose… and of course you can always ask in these forums for help.

Yes, quite a few people do this. You just use MIDI Out blocks instead of Synth blocks to communicate with your modules.

For example, here’s a wiring view where I have three external synths and one plugin all being driven by a single MIDI keyboard.

You can use widgets connected to the PC parameter of a MIDI Out block to send a new Program Change message to an external synth

Obviously one can build much more sophisticated systems with splits and layering.

Yes!! fantastic. Thank you for your reply and support.

2 Likes

Once you start using GP with your external hardware modules, you will quickly see that GP is a very powerful and easy to use midi processor. Don’t forget that GP can also import Instrument Definition files.

1 Like

Whooo Hoooo! Awesome!

hmmmm… what’s an “instrument definition” file ? :thinking: That my be above my pay grade…

If you open a MIDI Out block, you can load an instrument definition file (ins extension) that will allow you to choose a patch for your hardware by name, rather than only by a PC number.

The patch names and other characteristics of each particular MIDI module are supplied by the manufacturer, and are contained in an instrument definition file, which is a text file. Instrument definition files have the extension .ins and can contain a definition for only one instrument, or definitions for several instruments.

This person has compiled a number of them:

There is a good explanation i found in the cakewalk forum… you’d have to scroll down a bit…

It is explained in this blog article: Gig Performer | How to send Program Change messages out to hardware devices and other applications

In the User Manual, as well.

As others replied, ins file is a simple text file that will make patch selection so much easier and quicker. What’s the module you are using? I’m sure you can find its ins file on the net. If not, you can make your own.