Using ADAT in/out to extend Audio Interface analog i/o

I am thinking of this to extend the number of analog Inputs/Outputs of my RME UCX Audio Interface:

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0ATL

Any idea of the quality of this device or suggestion for an alternative product?

1 Like

I do not have any experience, but for that price you should try it.

Looks like it has some positive reviews. Nice price.

I looked by curiosity of the users’ opinions on several forums (Audiofanzine, VI Control, RME…) and of the general opinion this product has very honorable qualities considering its price.
It is recommended for live applications, to extend the number of microphones or synths, but of course it will not do the trick in studio or in high-end monitoring.

For the price, it’s a bargain.

I quote from a post that summarizes a lot of interesting information (RME user in RME forum):

"The ADA8200 is a good choice fur budget.
It gives me 8 inputs Mic or Line and 8 Line-outs where I connect 4 headphones for the band.
The quality of the MicPres is surprisingly good and the converters works well.
This is not high-end for mastering studios, it is for a rock band inside Betonbunker in my case.
you can attach a device via adat toslink cables.
Only up to 12 inputs (adat is a 8-channel-system)
Balanced or unbalanced or mic-signal…
Mic-level is very low and line-level is more powerfull (or louder)
Connect whatever you like and keep an eye on Totalmix incoming levels, they shall be green up to the yellow but not into the red top. (no orange clipping led on the 8200).
Only 44.1 or 48 kHz.
There are no separate ports, it is part of the adat port."

I use a Behringer ADA8000 with ADAT in/out to my MOTU Ultralite AVB. It works fine.

Much much better is Steinberg ur824; I have it networked into RME800 and the mids on it are astounding with a good cable; word clock and adat…just my 2c
I bought secondhand for $500 au which I guess is about 290 us…not a lot more

Is it studio or live? Midas pres are ok but a long way from ur (we did a shootout with clarett, midas, rme, ur etc).

Price is really good…I suppose its just about how important it is and may not notice the diff most of the time

but

I personally have had issues with behry…still…have a dud xr18 here with most of the midas preamps broken…started with too many phantom power draw on it. Replace power supply, still no go

The real step up if you are software/synth based is simply going Dante. The TF series is spectacular and uses Dante all round…its so so good.

Thanks guys for all your answer. The main use is in a live context. It is nice to record a whole band and have the opportunity to have more submix outputs.

It is curious as many users in this forum uses these small digital mixers…

I am not sure this is the topic, Dante won’t give you preamps… :thinking:

Yamaha TF mixers? They are probably nice even without Dante… :face_with_monocle:

Because it’s so mobile and you only need foh stereo at most venues (using item) so when it’s racked up…extremely convenient and repeatable

Hehe
It removes the need for preamps for all soft sound sources so you need far less inputs is what I was meaning…and pure dig so the dac is the pivot of quality then :wink:

Well, with “soft sounds” you never need preamps, but when you need preamps (analog sources), wether your interface is Dante or not, you need them. What probably makes a change with Dante is that you can have an easy connexion between a stage box and a FOH MIXER, or between a mixer and Dante speakers.

hehe Yes of course
Im thinking of a situation where I did FOH sound for a church (where they had many teams). We upgraded the desk to TF but previously had never had good experience with stability. My mind was changed…it was superb
BUT
It meant that whoever was on keys (using soft) and even multi users could turn up, plug in 1 ethernet and be using soft/Live etc, whatever on a single cable and the sound was spectacular.
It just seemed a great preamp solution…so extending that idea, just getting a TF type stage box solves a lot of issues but of course price
lol
the ultragain sounds like a good solution for you

I use an ADA8200 in my studio. I use it mainly for outputs to feed cue mixes, but have on occasion used the inputs too. I use it alongside a UAD Apollo system plus an Audient ASP800. Quality is never going to be the same as the equivalent Audient product, but it beats it in terms of “bang-for-buck”.

The preamps are an upgrade on those of the previous version the ADA8000 and are really quite serviceable. If that is your rough budget, you won’t find better for that price. In my opinion you would need to step up to the likes of the Audient ASP800, Focusrite Clarett Octopre or Arturia AudioFuse 8Pre to get a worthwhile improvement in quality.

I just ordered one to make my own opinion. But I don’t find any other device which is not an audio interface (I already have an RME UCX) and provides 8 input preamps and 8 analog outputs via ADAT.

2 Likes

looks quite interesting to me as it can run standalone as an ADAT expander, or as an audio interface

Yeah seems similar to the Clarett model (also part of a shootout we did)

I think it will be a bargain for your application.

The best upgrade imvho is cables…bad and good pres come alive with great cables…we did weeks of shootouts
Vovox for vocal and midrange

Analysis Plus Pro Oval for bass and transient

I could pick them blind test 100% of the time (AP make great live cables too)

1 Like

I have had a couple of these over the years and still have one in my rack. Mine are the older versions and I had both modified at Black Lion Audio. It was a worthwhile improvement but not necessary for most uses.

The mod options are:

Standard Mod
Analog

• -New, high performance op-amps on EVERY analog input and output (mic preamps, line inputs, and line outputs)
  • – Improving the performance of the analog stage circuits makes a drastic difference for tracking, mixing, and mastering (expect amazing micro-dynamics and space)!

Premium Mod (includes Standard Mod)
Analog

• – New, high-grade signal path capacitors on EVERY analog input and output (mic preamps, line inputs, and line outputs)

Digital

• – Proprietary decoupling on all A/D and D/A converters
  • – Our approach to converter decoupling reduces noise generated during the conversion process, leaving you with crisp, clear audio!

Get ready to hear your ADA8200 like never before!

1 Like

Yeah some of that stuff is sooo good.

Your avatar looks like empty pockets? Black Lion??
:slight_smile:

1 Like