Using a MIDI controller's button to jump to a Rackspace

Hello, I am new to Gig Performer and do not have a lot of experience with midi control/program messages.
I have 2 MIDI controllers, a Studio Logic SL 88 (keyboard) and a Korg NanoKontrol Studio (midi controller).
I can change between Rackspaces using a jog wheel on my Studio Logic SL88 which also changes programs within the keyboard such as sound names and pedal control settings etc.( for example program 1 is Piano, 2 is Rhodes, 3 organ etc.)
My end goal is to:
1- Be able to assign any of the 32 buttons on the Korg NanoKontroler to Rackspaces in order to jump to a specific program (rackspace)
2- And in turn, send midi changes back to the Studio Logic SL 88 so that the program change is reflected in the keyboard.

For example if I press button 3 on the Korg NanoKontrol Studio midi controller, Gig Performer will change to Rackspace 3 but also have
Studio Logic SL 88 change to program 3.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

As a start, please read this blog and make yourself familiar with the basic concepts: Gig Performer | How to change sounds and control plugins from your MIDI controller

1 Like

I have gone thru the basics but it looks like I do not have the option to change the type of messages on my Korg NanoKontrol Studio for the buttons, looks like all the only assign type is CC, no PC to make program changes for the buttons. Will this limitation on the midi controller prevent me from using keys to select Rackspaces is is there a workaround?

Have you downloaded the Korg Kontrol editor? The screenshots of the editor show labels like “Note/CC/PC Number”, which indicate that the buttons can be changed to send PC messages.

I have, the only options for the buttons are these 3: Control Change, Note and No Assign

You could try looking at this gig file. It might need to be adapted.

It does not look like it worked, when I run MIDI monitor in GP and buttons are pressed, I keep getting CC messages

Go to the global rackspace wiring view and open the scriptlet (CC to PC Converter). It has options to set the starting and ending CC numbers that your controller is sending e.g. if your first button sends CC 21, then this should be the ‘CC Start’.

That worked! how can I incorporate this into the GP file that I have already built? Is there a setting I can re-create when I build my files?

Great! You can right-click the scriptlet (CC to PC Converter) and ‘Save as Favorite’.
It will then be available in the same menu that your plugins are listed in, or you can just drag and drop the Favorite file onto the wiring view.

Only add it to the global rackspace. You then just need to connect your controller’s midi in block to the scriptlet (as this is what passes the CC messages to the scriptlet).

Awesome! Thank you so much! So now, do you know how I can send midi Program Change Messages back to my Studio Logic SL88 keyboard in order to change programs to the respective program in the keyboard?

Try this modified scriptlet Favorite file (drag and drop onto the wiring view)

CC to PC Converter.gpfav (2.7 KB)

It will send the PC message to its output port, which means that you can then connect it to the midi out port for your SL88.

This is still within the Global Rackspace correct? This is how I have it wired, buttons still change Rackspaces but the SL 88 is not responding to program changes
Screenshot 2022-10-21 225612

You don’t need to connect the SL to the CC to PC Converter’s input.
Does the SL respond to PC’s on all channels? Have you ever sent it PC changes before?

I can use the SL midi editor to change programs from my PC. That is the only time I have used an external device to make program changes in the keyboard. Is there anything else I may do in GP to make this work?

I got it! Just had to set the common channel on the keyboard to 1. Thank you everyone for your awesome help!

2 Likes