USB Hub Issues

Hi. Here is what I’m seeing in the Midi Ports Window :+1:

With the HUB connected, and the Rig Manager unable to see/communicate with a controler kbd, this is my Midi Port window. Whether my controller is or isn’t connected direct to PC or through the HUB, my Midi Port Window is not changing.

This shows my Rig Manager screen with controller connected direct to PC via USB. Then you can see what happens when I connect that controller through a HUB.

When you press the Icon with the 3 dots on the entry “Roland-A800Pro …> A-PRO 1 (MISSING)”
how looks the popup menu?

1 Like

It is already clear that if the Windows MIDI port name of “A-Pro 1” changes to “3-A-Pro 1” you will have to relearn it in Rig Manager. At the time your Rackspaces don’t seem to respond to your MIDI controller, could you check if messages are sent to the GP Global MIDI Monitor ? If yes then you should be able to double click on the “MISSING” MIDI port in Rig Manager and MIDI Learn it with the new MIDI port name.

2 Likes

This!

1 Like

At the top of the lower picture, you can see the 3 A-Pro 1 and 2. I guess you’ll have to ‘relearn’ the ‘Roland-A800-Pro 1’ entry (by clicking …) like @David-san and @schamass suggested

Thanks for this thread, I had exactly the same issue with my previous usb hub. Unfortunately I did not notice if my devices names changed like in your case .i.e from A-Pro 1 to 3-A-Pro 1 or similar. After reading this, I think they probably did. Easy to miss that extra number in the name especially when not knowing that this text field name is crucial. At the time, if i remember correctly, I think that the devices were identified correctly as long as i made sure to use the same usb connector for each device, not swapping the cables.

2 Likes

Thank you for your help & advice. I’m not 100% comprehending what is meant by “relearn” the device? A few people have advised this is what I need to do. If I click on the (…) next to the duplicate controller entries I have 2 x options.

Define Midi Device
Associate Midi Output device

Do I need to edit or use either of these options? Or do I need to make changes to the correct device in the list?

can you please show the complete window?

1 Like

It looks like this is the screen with the working controller? You need to click ‘Learn MIDI device’ (for this same line!) when it is grey (and the controller not working).

Hi - I got the 7 port Anker powered Hub and it is letting me see all connected devices clearly. Thanks for a great recommend :+1:

3 Likes

Hi again. I went through the process of relearning the Midi for the “grayed out” controller. Everything appears to be working again and everything I have mapped is sending the correct messages according to the control alias list. However, now in my wiring diagrams my controller keyboard is not receiving any midi messages so none of the patches play and none of the widgets linked to midi changes are working? I can replace the midi in block for another Midi device which is listed in rig manager but has not had any alias assigned or set up?

I was expecting that I would use the named controller (as per the Rig Manager) for my Midi in block in each Rig?

Without seeing your wiring diagram, it’s hard to determine what’s going on.

Why do you need your controller keyboard to receive MIDI changes? Is it a synth? If so, you need to use a MIDI Out block to SEND messages to it.

Dumb question: When you wrote:

“my controller keyboard is not receiving any midi messages”

Is that what you meant?

Or did you mean the GP is not receiving messages sent by my controller keyboard?

No, you can replace your MIDI block only with valid Rig Manager MIDI port alias names. But you can temporarily assign a virtual MIDI device to a MIDI port alias name in rig manager, and this way you will be able to replace a MIDI in block by another one defined in Rig Manager. Once your physical device is back, relearn it in Rig Manager and you will be able to play with it.

Sorry - that should say my GP system is no longer receiving MIDI data. I don’t require any outbound data :pray:

Yes I did mean to say all of my MIDI in blocks are not receiving after re-mapping this controller in he rig manager. And if I swap the Midi-In block to be the named controller it’s not receiving any Midi in. I’m not sure if I will persist in trying to figure out how to use the Rig Manager…I can’t keep having to replace midi in blocks for each rackspace before every performance.

Thank you for your additional help with this. I’m very pleased to have sorted my original issue which was making sure my GP system was seeing all controller devices I needed to connect up with USB. I think I have to take that Win and forget about trying to configure the Rig Manager… Organising a Yoga Class on the Moon would be a lot easier:(
Setting up my controller in the Rig Manager has impacted every single midi-in block through my rackspaces and I’m having to re-assign all midi-in blocks…and the biggest “head scratcher” now is if I choose the correctly named Midi In block according to the settings in the Rig Manager, that named block does not receive ANY data!

Can you export the Rig Manager settings and upload it?