Unpopular opinion: Helix Native isn’t as good as contemporaries

Is it just me that thinks the Helix Native is nowhere near as good as contemporaries? I’m comparing against the following:

• Positive Grid Bias FX 2
  • Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6
  • IK Multimedia Amplitube 5
  • Neural DSP Gojira

In my opinion there’s very little to redeem the Helix Native, other than interop with the hardware (which I don’t have), but I find the sounds it produces to be fizzy and synthetic sounding.

That’s not to say that that the others are perfect, but I can’t think of anything good to say about this one. Does anyone else agree?

1 Like

I like TH-U and Bias over Helix. Generally the factory presets are garbage in all of them and you have to spend time building/tweaking your own sounds. But the basic building blocks of just an amp and speaker do sound better in the first two I mentioned in my opinion as well. Not much of a fan of guitar rig either.

1 Like

I have no problem at all with Helix Native, and would use it before reaching for Amplitube every time. I tend to use an external IR loader and other post effects, which means that I am usually only using the pedals and amp from Native.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience. I appreciate that tone and plugin choice is highly subjective, but I feel like I’m missing something with Helix Native, and I’m reading the signal that there are things here that I can learn.

Can you tell me more about the IR loader and post effects you’re using?

With my rackspaces, I’m all over the place with IRs and loaders. I’ll switch from using something like the Celestion SpeakerMix Pro (by realising I hate the UI and workflow) and go to the other extreme of the free Melda MConvolutionEZ and a single mix IR.

Of late I’m using the ProConvolver in S-Gear (even if not using the S-Gear amp) as I find the impedance curve setting (“Z” control) adds something really nice. IR’s are pretty much all York Audio.

2 Likes

I’m liking what I hear of Celestion SpeakerMix Pro. Thank you for the tips.

I like the sound I get with Waves. PRS amp emulation - although I discovered it is not compatible w predictive loading in gigperformer.

1 Like

Too bad, the predictive loading in GP seems like black magic to me!

What happens?

1 Like

Gee it’s been a while since I tried it. I think it lost its settings. I wound up putting the prs plug-in into MainStage and sending a midi signal from gigperformer to MainStage to select the desired preset.
Now with global rackspace I could try again since those seem to be held in memory constantly even while the rest could be predictive loading.

1 Like