Understanding Multithreading

Hi Paul and Vindes,

Ok. I’m still just as unclear on this question then. Maybe one of you can clarify for me.

I totally get, as dhj says, that latency compensation wouldn’t be useful in a live patching environment, only in a daw where you want to ensure that channels all align perfectly for rendering a mix.

From what you are saying though it sounds like any latency inducing plugin will introduce a lag into the whole audio stream? Is that correct?

Why do I care? I use the latency tracker in Ableton to pick plugins for live processing that have zero latency, but I do have a few nice delays and reverbs that do induce a latency, and that it would be nice to use live. If I could put them on a ‘send’ routing and know that my direct routing was unnafected, that would be great, as the additional latency really wouldn’t matter on the delayed sound or the verb, but if they are going to delay the entire audio chain, I will stick to avoiding them.

Further to that, does anyone know if the latency introduced by such plugins is cumulative. ie, if i insert 4 plugins that have an inbuilt 32ms latency, do I end up with 128ms additional latency, or do they all just need that additional 32ms headroom and so I just add 32ms? I appreciate that this may somewhat depend on the plugins, and may be a question for the manufacturer, so I suppose I’m really asking how GP handles requests for additional latency from plugins?