Trying to change articulations in VSL instruments via custom button

Hi All,
So I’ve been trying this evening to figure out a way to change articulations in Vienna Synchron Player ( Vienna Instruments.) via my Behringer X-Touch controller. I found a thread that described a method…but it just doesn’t work for me…and I have to admit I am completely stuck!

Challenge;
Custom program two buttons on my Behringer X-Touch controller to change the articulations within Vienna Instruments…so for example here is a simple two patch setup:

I simply want to press one button and it changes to legato…another back to staccato.

Solution 1 tried: Using Gig Performer Midi In Block
In this thread a method is described where the Midi in block is changed:

*"The good news is that this is easy to emulate in Gig Performer. I’ve attached a trivial rackspace you can use to study how to do it. Basically, you create a few buttons and associate them with the MidiIn block that’s connected to Kontakt. Then you set the parameters so that each button is mapped to a specific note number. Then it works…VSL *
No scripting needed."

However while I can get the demo file to work with Kontakt Strings…it doesn’t seem to work with VSL…VSL isn’t recognising the Midi in block commands. Now it could be that I am missing something basic in the setup…here is a screen shot:

But I press the buttons…and there is no response in VSL…it doesn’t understand that input (It will work with the physical C0 on the keyboard itself.

Solution 2: Programming Synchron Player itself
I then tried going to edit Synchron player to match the buttons from the Behringer X-Touch…so I would press learn and choose one button…Synchron player can learn the first button…eg. C0but then the software defaults to just going up the tree of notes…eg next articulation = next button on X-Touch that happens to match C#…but I don’t know how I could actually custom choose an articulation to match whatever button I want…Synchon player seems to only allow learning the very first articulation button…and then you are locked in to the following scale for all articulations after that. C C# D D# etc (However I am new to this software) At least though I can ‘hack it’ to match…

Anyway has anyone figured out a way to get Gig Performer to communicate by itself with the VSL instruments to change articulations? Is that possible…or is VSL locked down? Thanks!

Edit: And now back in my main gig I also cannot program Synchron Player to recognise the X-Touch…so something else is blocking it.,…couple of hours of trying to program two buttons to change an articulation…this certainly is tricky!

Continuing to try and think through this problem myself…

Vsl support got back to me re whether I could custom map individual articulations:

Hello Mathew,

Thanks for your email.

instead of just defaulting to whatever button happens to match C#…is that possible?

==> No, sorry to say - since these notes are conceived as keyswitches, they need to be in a consecutive sequence by design.

Troubleshooting thoughts:
1)
There appears to be something in my Gig Performer setlist that locks the midi receiving in Synchron player… if I have a blank new rack space… I can get Synchron player to receive and learn from my Xtouch controller but then at other times… like in my big setlist… it doesn’t

1. I can get the keyboard itself to consistently send an articulation change to Synchron player… there must be some way to ‘fake’ this same behaviour… so for example if I press a c0 on keyboard… OR… I press a custom button with the mouse for example in Gig performer … it does exactly the same thing… effectively I could make a fake keyboard with buttons that just sends c0 c#o do etc.

How can I do that? Is that via the midi in parameter? Thanks!

What is that? By any chance does it provide its own MIDI input rather than receiving MIDI from a MIDI In block, for example? If so, and you’re on Windows, that could be the issue.

1 Like

Thanks dhj. I threw a lot more time at it last night.
I made progress…part of my problem was a ‘beginner’ error…I don’t think I set the X-Touch as the correct input…however even then there were some buttons that wouldn’t be recognised in VSL…while others would…almost as if maybe something else was blocking it…so I need to check if anything in GP has reserved it.

I also was able to get my Maschine Mikro mk3 working for custom buttons too…so I’m learning a lot.

Thank you for your ttips!

@dhj
Synchron player is the proprietary sample player for VSL sound banks