Triggering a long glissando

Hi
I have an Arturia Keylab II 88 (and a number of analog synth VSTs) and am trying to emulate a long slow rising glissando similar to what happens here just after the three minute mark: Transvision Vamp - Baby I Don't Care (Official video) HQ - YouTube
I’d be interested to hear some different views on the options here, from a one off button press, to rotary dial, to buying some kind of ribbon controller? This effect is in a number of songs and really adds to the tension, so I’d like to start using it.
Thanks!

Use a pitchbend wheel

1 Like

Thanks Pianopaul, but would that work up 3 or 4 octaves?

Depends on your plugin.
You can map a widget to the oscillator tune and then midi learn the widget to your pitch bend controller.
So set the tune of the Oscillator to -24 semitones and with the pitch bend move it up to +24 semitones.
What VST do you have?

1 Like

Interesting. Ob-e would probably be my first choice, or maybe Mini V from arturia?

Yes, could work, but the oscillators maybe can only be tuned in fixed steps….

1 Like

Why not using a synth with portamento?

2 Likes

If you have the Arturia modeling collection then you could probably make this quite easily with their Moog Modular

That would be the easiest way, you are right.

I use a shepard tone generator in Gig Performer to do this kind of effect live in a song.
It’s not a glissando but it gives the illusion.
The advantage is that you can make it last forever at any speed you want.
I use mdashepard vst-64 and there is a Mac version.
This is the sound I use:

2 Likes

Hi David
Ideally I’d just hit one of the pads to trigger this so that I could carry on playing other sounds. I guess another alternative would be to just trigger an MP3 using audio player.

Hi Hermon
I always wondered what that effect was called, now I know. What a great idea, I’m going to try this next time we rehearse.
Thank you!