Transpose only a part of the song

Hello I want to transpose only one part of the song, the other parts must not be transposed. Is it possible and how can I do it?

There is currently no way to directly tranpose a specific song part (we figured that once one transposes a song, that’s sufficient :slight_smile: )

However, not too hard to workaround.
Is the rackspace used by that song part used anywhere else? If so, first duplicate it so you don’t impact its use anywhere else.
Then just edit each MidiIn block in that rackspace and adjust the transpose amount

Thank you very much

No worries — thought I would love to know more about why you’re trying to do this. Normally, one might transpose a complete song, either to make it easier to play, or to be able to play it in the same way on a keyboard but accommodate someone else who perhaps needs a lower or higher key.

So why transpose just one part of a song?

Curiously,

In just one song that we play, the final chorus is +1 so it would be easy for me to keep on playing the same chords but changing the song part with my pedal. Thank u

Oh, in that case, the solution is even easier. Just create a new song with one part right under your current song and associate it with the same rackspace that you used for the last part of the song. Set the transpose of the new song up a semitone.

1 Like

I will proceed in this way. Thank you for the fast support. I am a new user so I have some beginner questions. :slight_smile:

I think, this could also be done by a little script that could be triggered by a button widget, which can be learned with any pedal or controller button.
As long as the button is pushed, the script needs to catch the incoming note values, add the desired amount of halftones and send out the result as a new (transposed) note.

This should do the trick:

var
my_midi_in  : MidiInBlock
trp_button : widget
trp_amount : integer

// Called once when rackspace is first loaded
Initialization
    trp_amount = 1
End

On NoteEvent(m : NoteMessage) from my_midi_in
    If GetWidgetValue (trp_button) > 0.5 then
        SendNow (my_midi_in, Transpose (m, trp_amount))
    Else
        SendNow (my_midi_in , m)
    End
End

You need a button/switch widget on your front panel which is named ‘trp_button’ (see “Advanced Tab” and your Midi-In block on the connections view has to be named as ‘my_midi_in’ (right-click the block then use ‘OSC/GPScript Handle’ -> ‘Set Handle’ -> give a name and tick on ‘use in GPScript’.)
Of course you may choose any names you like, but then they have to be used in the script too.

I will test, thank you!

I would advise against this approach for this particular use case. That script has to go in a specific rackspace and for what he is trying to do, it would be easier to just duplicate the rackspace and modify the MidiIn Tranpose values (if he has more than one MidiIn block then this script would have to deal with all of them)

Ok thanks

Ok guys, after having read your posts more thoroughly, i must admit that David is probably right (again).
And (i think) i see the point, because what is to be achieved is not actually rackspace-dependent but more song-dependent - and it is just one chorus of one song, so why should you modify the rackspace itself, that is maybe used in some other songs too? (is there a facepalm smily for me? :wink: )
EDIT: :man_facepalming: :grin:

:man_facepalming: has you covered - I needed that just yesterday :joy:

2 Likes

Hello,

Ok, it is an older tread but i would like to know if it is possible to transpose a songpart?

We are playing a lot of medley’s where we sometimes choose to transpose a song for a better arrangement, but if we play the entire song itself it could be in the original key. Now i’m setting up multiple racks for the same song with the same sounds but one would be transposed. Would be great if i could do this in a song part specificaly belonging to a medley.

I don’t think you can, but I can see that being useful, maybe for variations too (or if you are going to pick one, just for variations).

Put a system actions plugin in the rackspace, attach a widget to the global transpose and use a snapshot in the song part

3 Likes