Took the RME plunge

Hi everyone,

I took the plunge. A few months back, I had a mission critical recording session where I had custom designed several synths from Massive and syntronik, some sampled pianos, and a Vb3 organ that I planned to play into the session, hosted in GP. Normally, I’ll use stock pianos or the organ from my SKX organ; but, the modern EDM synth work required sound design. Since I was on location and not at my home studio, I used my work’s Yamaha Montage drivers to act as the interface… Normally I can get out of a session in an hour… this one was glitch after glitch, and reset after reset, and stable only around 265 samples, so sluggish.

That was the last straw. I went on Reverb and found a used RME Babyface Pro (gen2) for sub $600.

On windows… Drivers are, like everyone here says, absolutely critical. My old Roland Duo-Capture EX using ASIO4all or the Roland drivers was always glitchy; using the Montage… super glitchy. RME… I loaded up Pianoteq 6, played at 128 samples… no glitches. At all. 96 samples… same. I haven’t gotten it to glitch with Pianoteq until I pushed it to 64 samples, and glitch only happened when I was trying to push it with polyphony and something in the background launch location data… which idk what since WiFi was off. I blame the latest update. Again. This is on a 4 year old Lenovo Yoga laptop with 8GB of RAM, 512 GB NVME, and an 8th Gen Core i5 8250u. Not particularly strong, lol.

Bottom line, I can’t thank everyone on here enough for the recommendation. It took me a bit to save, and in the end, I bought a used unit; but, SO MUCH BETTER.

7 Likes

Welcome in the club!

If you want to strengthen your confidence on low-latency and stability with RME and Gig Performer, you might have a look here:

https://community.gigperformer.com/t/some-research-on-latency-jitter-and-buffer-size/6134/21

4 Likes

So, you perform “Marry Me” for the groupies at the front of the stage? :heart_eyes: :laughing:

1 Like

Willst du bis der Tod euch scheidet
Treu ihr sein für alle Tage?

Nein! :joy:

2 Likes

Ich denke, wir brauchen unbedingt eine deutsche Lounge in diesem Community-Forum… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::beer::pretzel:

5 Likes

Noch besser eine Bayerische :wink:

2 Likes

Dass kann i’ mi’ net versteh

Typisches bayerisches Motto - frei nach Franz Beckenbauer

Jetzt wart ma moi
Dann schau ma moi
Dann seng mas scho

Try to translate
First we wait
Then we maybe take a look
Then we maybe will see

Are we still talking about Rammstein? :slight_smile:

I found it funny when I found out the translation.

1 Like

Rammstein? Nein! Einstürzende Neubauten!

RME audio interface are the read deal

1 Like

You meant “real deal”? (Non native English speaker here :grimacing:)

And welcome to the GP community :wink:

Yes i meant Real Deal

2 Likes

RME is the BEST! Longtime user with UFX+ currently in gig rack.

Hi @TKOCraig, welcome to the family.

Hi Pianopaul! Thank you! I’m a brand new GP4 user in the process of completely revising my hard & software setup so as to lighten the gig rack and enhance my live performance, with plugins. So much to learn but totally excited about the GP community!

2 Likes

Fee free to ask - no question is stupid :wink:

What’s the difference between a duck?

1 Like

Two legs are the same

4 Likes

Two legs are the same… in particular the left one

3 Likes