Tempo in setlist mode

When in setlist mode, the tempo will always jump to 100 in each song, unless I specifically set the ‘overide global tempo’ switch in the song properties. After switching to another song, the tempo will be set to 100 again.

Where is this tempo of 100 coming from? I don’t have any midi device other than my controller keyboard.

Ideally for me would be that the songs in a setlist would pick up the tempo as set in the rackspace, so that I wouldn’t need to specify the tempo in the song properties for each song in the setlist.

How is your global tempo?

As far as I understand the number in that frame changes according the number as defined in the song properties (setlist view) or rackspace properties (panels view)?

In setlist view, when nothing is defined, the number there is 100.

What is the value of your global BPM?
When no tempo override is defined in the Song Part property then the global BPM is applied -
the tempo defined in the rackspace seems to be ignored.

As straightforward as it is, I guess I just didn’t understand that you set the global tempo there, and that it jumps back to that tempo as long as nothing is defined in the song properties :slight_smile: .

Still, for me it would work best if the tempo as defined in the rackspace properties would be leading. That setting seems to be ignored in setlist mode.

It’s a fair point but I guess the thought is that setting the tempo from rackspace properties would be misleading.

In most cases, while rackspaces are intended to be reused in different songs or song parts, their use will be completely different (e.g, a rackspace that contains just a piano, used in 20 different songs) and the tempos will generally be completely different so not really much point in reusing them as you’re going to have to override almost all of them anyway.

2 Likes

Yes, I understand that that is the most common use case. For me it would work because I have a dedicated rackspace for each song.

Using a dedicated rackspace for each song will still allow you to save tempo using over-ride. Make sure you save the change otherwise it will revert. Not sure if that helps - I am a newbie so my assistance comes with an advisory!

You are right. The trick is also to add the rackspaces to the setlist properly with ‘add song(s) to setlist [ctrl shift F]’ and then the override setting is copied from the rackspace properties to the song properties.

Thanks all!

I know this is an old convo, but I’m encountering this problem. I have 2 instances of GP synced via Live. The way I’m configured is that in both instances, each rackspace is a song. Instance 1 is for my keyboards and MIDI players for BGVs, and instance 2 is strictly backing tracks and MIDI players to control lighting and video. I used the tempo override in the rackspaces to set the song tempo. Now, I’m using setlist mode as well, each rackspace is assigned to a song. but I have never set the tempo override in the songs. My assumption was that the song just inherits the tempo of the rackspace. But, that is not working. When I walk through the All Songs setlist, sometimes the tempo changes, sometimes it doesn’t, it seems almost random.
My simple question is - Do I now have to go set the tempo override in all the songs as well in order to make this work consistently?

Different songs can use the same rackspace (e.g. a piano) and each of those songs could have its own tempo. You do not want all your songs getting the same tempo.

That means that you did indeed set up a tempo override somewhere and GP is just doing what it’s instructed to.

Other options include some external midi clock and you enabled that option in some rackspaces. Or you enabled Ableton Link and that is somehow changing your tempo.

Something is doing it if you are seeing it. You just have to find what it is - GP will never just randomly do that.

Thanks @djh and @djogon. I did some testing, and I think I found the inconsistencies with my tempo settings between the instances. I went ahead and fixed those plus added a tempo override for each song in setlist mode. So I have the global override set for all rackspaces in both instances, plus in setlist mode, but they are all identical. I think there are two use cases here regarding setlists and rackspaces. My keyboards for each song sometimes have many splits plus assignments to a control pad with sequences and sample triggers. Those are all specific to the given song which is why I have one rackspace per song, nothing is generic. Instance 1 (keyboards) operates in setlist mode, since I’m responsible for changing and starting/stopping songs. The networked instance 2 always runs in wiring mode, and subsequently sends PCs to my bandmates networked iPad, as well as Midi sequences to trigger all the lighting/video. It has to have the right tempo in order for everything to stay in sync. It may all sound very complicated, but it all works like a charm.

2 Likes

I stumbled over an issue with my song tempo in setlist mode:
I use “override global tempo” in song properties with 105.6 bpm - which works fine.
Switching between songs is no problem - everything works like expected.
Now I save the gigfile and close GP.
After reloading GP (and automaitcally load last gigfile) Tempo for the song sets back to 105.0 not 105.6 as saved before.
Could this be a bug or am I doing something wrong?

What tempo is shown in the song part property?

The first part has 120bpm, part 2-4 show 105bpm.
All of them have “override global tempo” deactivated.

Set the tempo on song part property and override tempo.
Save the gig, reload and see what happens.

I did it in all 4 Songparts, but it switches back to 105 in all parts after reopening GP.
But he remember the “override” switch in the parts now activated correctly.

Found another song in my playlist with a “non integer” tempo.
Same thing here - after reopening the gigfile it is set to the corresponding integer.
Seems to be bug…

This issue was raised in the past, but I don’t think it made its way into the bug tracking system.

The decimal place for the tempo does get saved in the file. But when the gig file is opened, the decimal is ignored.