TC Helicon Perform VK

I think its time to try a full reset on the VK. Ive been reluctant as i spent some time programming it. But start from scratch seems to be the only route left.

After playing live and singing most of the backgrounds with the TC Helicon Voice Live 3, I recently ordered TC Helicon Perform VK, looking for a smaller footprint. After installing the VK in the same MIDI configuration as the VL3, I was disappointed to find that the “Natural Play” voicings, used for two and three-part harmonies, would not respond to MIDI. However, the input (MIDI or USB MIDI) cable and the LED note MIDI activity are displayed. On the VK, the natural play harmonies required audio input from a keyboard. MIDI only responds to “Notes Mode,” which sounds like a vocoder to my ears.

When programing the Voice Live 3, you can select where the harmonies receive the voicing data, in my case, MIDI. The VL3 responds to the requested voicing preset (one up, two up, two down, a third, or fifth up/down, etc.) and follows what you are playing. Perhaps I stumbled on a “Feature” with the VL3! I don’t know. It has just worked. According to TC Helicon, the VK will use room sense (The little microphone in the front) to pull the chord data from audio in the room. We use IEMs, and even while playing only through headphones and the PA is off, I can hear the harmonies change when I change the chords.

The configuration of VL3 into Gig Performer was straightforward. Since I want MIDI information sent from multiple MIDI outputs (Korg Kronos, Komplete Kontrol, and Arturia Keylab MKII), I created an OMNI OUT going to the Voice Live III under GLOBAL. This configuration works like a charm for Voice Live III.

The TC Helicon Perform VK was returned.

1 Like

I did a full reset on the VK. Its working. As simple as that. Its reading the midi chords fine, and the midi indicator light is now shining brightly, as it was originally.
Go figure!

Thanks for everyone’s help and suggestions.

2 Likes

Well I have a perform vk- and the MIDI connection doesn’t seem to trigger the harmonies correctly. the harmony will ? only work if i route my keyboard through the input ports, but that creates too much hum/noise. I found your post, and i have two questions. 1. What MIDI indicator light? on the VK? because i can’t find that. 2. How do i factory reset it?