Tangent Mapper Setup

All,

Trying to get a Tangent Element panel to work with GigPerformer using the Tangent Mapper application running on the same machine as GP.

This is a fresh Windows install machine.

Tangent Mapper settings are as follows:

GP Settings are as follows:

Using Protokol and monitoring port 54341, I am getting the following OSC data I see from the Tangent device:

RECEIVE | ENDPOINT([::ffff:127.0.0.1]:54342) ADDRESS(KNOB12) FLOAT(0.001)

And this is the data I see from Gig Performer on a OSC enabled widget:

RECEIVE    | ENDPOINT([::ffff:127.0.0.1]:52097) ADDRESS(/KNOB12/SetValue) FLOAT(0.140625)
RECEIVE    | ENDPOINT([::ffff:127.0.0.1]:52097) ADDRESS(/KNOB12Name) STRING()

However, the Tangent device is not controling the widget.

I’m missing something here but I don’t know what it is.
Thanks for any assistance.

From the GP OSC reference list (https://gigperformer.com/downloads/GPScript/OSCMessages.pdf):

/oscHandle/SetValue
/oscHandle/GetValue

So, in Tangent Mapper, the OSC address you are supposed to use is /KNOB12/SetValue

Then Tangent Mapper Server OSC Port, seems to be the port to send to which is the GP listening port 54344. I don’t know what Tangent Mapper is, but it seems that it has only an OSC sending port…

1 Like

GP listens on port 54344.
For my understanding: Do you expect that the widget is remote controlled by Tangent?

yes, that is my expectation. is this not possible?

Its a control panel (Tangent Element Kb, Bt) that you can use to control any application and it happens to have an OSC parameter assignment function.

It’s an input device only, it’s not ment to recieve data.

I changed the addres to /KNOB12/Setvalue and this didn’t change my results.

If I change the port on Mapper to 54344, it no longer sends any data. Changing my monitoring port to 54344 in Protokol finds nothing.

Also interesting that when I was set to 54341, which was the number GP defaulted as the remote client port, Mapper actually sends or appears to send on 54342.

For that to work you need to make sure that OSC messages are sent to the Port GP listens.
In your case it is 54344.

How looks your widget properties?
Did you enable OSC for that widget?

1 Like

Yes, enabled.

So I have, and interestingly when I do change to 54344 Protokol doesn’t see the messages unless I have GP opened to the Options page at which point it’s not actively listening on 54344, then my Tangent Mapper messages are seen by Protokol.

So is GP getting my messages on 54344 when it’s not in Options page mode and that is why Protokol can’t see them (black hole?) or… is there an issue using that port by both services?

Normally I avoid that 2 different APP are listening on the same port.
And when a port is used by another APP and you open GP then a message should appear.
But I do not understand what the OSC server is.
Is your hardware sending to the OSC server on that port?

I don’t think it’s possible… if you try to set both ports the same in GP prefs you get a feedback error notification and it forces you to change it.

So I am confused then by your advice… you say it needs to send on the port that GP listens on but that you avoid using the same port… and that seems to prove what I"ve experienced… that using the same port yeilds no messages being seen by Protokol.

There is a misunderstanding:
OSC message have to be sent to a port GP is listening.
But it seems that you hardware is sending to an OSC server to a port.
Now the OSC server should forward this OSC message to GP on another port.

But I do not understand the concept of you hardware and OSC server.

1. You should be sending messages from Tangent to port number 54344, not 54341

2. If you are running an OSC monitor on port 54344 then Gig Performer will not receive the messages — you cannot have more than one application monitoring the same port number. You need to quit that monitor and then restart Gig Performer so that it can listen on port 54344

1 Like

I found the issue… it’s the syntax of “SetValue” needs to be initial capped exactly like this. Looks like this will work.

I get why this is the case… but it would be great if the OSC monitoring program would pass that data through so you could see in-line monitoring of data.

Yeah, that’s up to the monitoring program to do.

I do my OSC monitoring using a simple MaxMSP patcher that receives messages in either direction, passes them on and prints the messages

3 Likes

Sorry for the typo in my post, the OSC reference list is correct.

WireShark is more difficult to use, but it works differently and sniffs the connection rather then opening the port. So, it works seamlessly.

1 Like