TAL-Flanger returns to default preset after restarting GP

Does anyone have any idea why the plugin loads only the default preset after I restart GP or reload my .gig file?

Super weird bs is going on with this plugin… Instead of dropping it altogether I would like to try and understand it lol

So all values I set revert to default preset = GENTLE STEREO FLANGER

Now here comes even stranger thing… If I save my .gig file it saves my values/knobs into THE PLUGIN’S presets which was selected… wtf… ? lol but it still loads up with the default one on the startup after loading my .gig file or restarting GP…

I am so puzzled…

Saving into custom GP preset and then the whole .gig file doesn’t change anything as well…

Does anyone have any ideas?

If I want to test this I need to have a little more information, like Windows, mac, vst2 or vst3 or…?

I’m on Windows so mac I cannot try, but in the case you’re on mac, at least I can see whether Windows has the same issue.

Win 10, VST (info from the Plugin Manager)

I think it is plugin problem. There’s something not working as it should. No other plugin has problem with saving its custom settings but this one/

What I am doing is:

1. selecting Plugin Presets> Extreme Flanger
  2. saving my .gig file
  3. when I reload the file or restart GP
  4. plugin’s preset is at its default one again = Gentle Stereo Flanger

So there’s problem with saving its custom state.

I have also tried:

1. selecting Plugin Presets> Extreme Flanger
  2. SAVE GP User Preset…
  3. then also saving my .gig file
  4. when I reload the file or restart GP
  5. plugin’s preset is at its default one again = Gentle Stereo Flanger

It is not a big problem really, I just have to manually select the preset each time, but I wonder why does it not work like other plugins where all their custom settings are save either in .gig file or GP User Preset.

I checked it out. I think you should reach out to the developer. The automation of this plugin is somewhat strange: It keeps track of the settings by just saving the presets. On start up it recalls the presets, but doesn’t reinstate the preset that was selected. All changes you do are saved to the currently selected preset. Luckily a new instance of the plugin has the original preset settings.

The only work-around I can think of is assigning a(n invisible) widget to keep track of the state. Host to plugin seems to work. Or always keep the “Gentle Stereo Flanger” preset selected and adjust the parameters. Just use the other presets as examples and copy these settings manually to the “Gentle Stereo Flanger” preset

Edit: These plugins are not supported by the developer, so reaching out is of no use :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Thank you. You have been more than helpful. I will just keep on manually selecting the preset or each time or just mess with the knobs and save its custom settings into the default one: Gentle Stereo Flanger.

I wish you health and happiness/

Thank you once again/

2 Likes

Can you replace it with another free plugin?
Melda’s MFlanger is part of their free pack, and Blue Cat have a free flanger.

Here are a few links to free flangers:

A bundle of 37 effects:

A bundle of 33 effects:

Select the free version (simpler than the pay version).

2 Likes

Thank you, guys. Yea, of course I will change it if needed but I use it only for one song (Cowboys from Hell - intro) and I didn’t want to change the plugin. If I ever need more flange action I will probably just fiddle with knobs and save that (as it has no trouble saving its custom settings in its own weird way).

I’m not good nor like the complicated ;p As simple as it can be and I want my creativity do the heavy lifting/ Hence I use presets mostly or change the thing all together if I cannot get what I want from it in a short amount of time.

Anyway, no biggie. I just thought I might be missing something obvious with tal flanger. It was worth the shot.

Thank you, everyone for your input. This community is just pure amazing/

As long as you only use the preset that is selected by default (‘Gentle Stereo Flanger’) the adjustments you make to it are persisted.

(It looks like TAL saved this problem in other plugins by only having one preset.)