Synthmaster2 closes GP4 upon closing plugin

I recently upgraded to Gig Performer 4.7 from 3.81 and I’m getting weird behaviour from Synthmaster2 that I never experienced on GP3.

When I load up the plugin, it opens the plugin itself in one window and a separate window for the GP container (the part with “bypass” and the “…” menu). I’ve attached a screenshot of what I mean.

I can close each one of these windows independently, but as soon as I close the other one, GP4 closes completely. Once I’ve loaded my patch in Synthmaster2 I can save my gig and restart GP4, but this means that once I open the GUI for Synthmaster2 I can’t close it without having to restart GP4. GP4 doesn’t actually crash or bring up any error, it just closes.

If I first close the Synthmaster2 GUI window and only have the GP4 container window for Synthmaster2 open (as I can’t close both windows without first restarting) and try to create a new rackspace, then GP4 does crash. However, if I close the container window first and leave the Synthmaster2 GUI window open then I can create a new rackspace without crashing. Although that’s obviously still not ideal as I still have to leave the Synthmaster2 window open until I restart GP4.

Finally, if I close the GUI window and leave the container window open, I’m unable to reopen the GUI window again.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this and/or know how I can fix this behaviour please?

What is the “other one” window?

On Mac I only get 1 window.
What Version of Synthmaster 2 are you using?

Please see the screenshot in my first post. When I load up Synthmaster it creates 2 windows. It shows the main Synthmaster plugin and a second window that shows the GP container (in the screenshot this is the window that has the GP “bypass” button). I have no idea why they show as 2 separate windows as every other plugin I’ve ever loaded in GP has GP’s container around the plugin in 1 window.

Oh and it’s Synthmaster 2.9

VST version or VST3 version?

I believe it’s VST. There wasn’t an option of VST3 in the installer.

At least for Mac there is a VST and a VST3 version available.
The same version of Synthmaster 2 using GP 3.8.1 does not open separate windows?

Somehow the usual window content (Bypass button, “…” menu), which normally is to be found on top of each plugin window, seems to be separated from the main GUI window. I have absolutely no idea of how this can happen…?

Correct, the same version of Synthmaster 2 opens correctly in GP 3.8.1

Sounds like that plugin is not managing window handles properly and is accessing the window handle of GP itself. That would explain why it closes

But why did it work in GP 3.8.1 and not in 4.7?

Works fine on Windows 11, Gig Performer v4.7 (tested VST and VST3), Software Renderer.

1 Like

No idea

That really does suggest it wasn’t handling windows properly.

That said, others are reporting that it seems to run fine on 4.7 so there may have been something else that changed on your system.

Very strange! Thanks for the responses, I’ll do some experimenting and see if I can figure out what’s going on.

Are you using Open GL renderer or the Software renderer?

I’ve tried both and get the same behaviour regardless.

What skin is that you are using?
None of the build-in skins i tried with the demo looks like yours…
And from what i saw, these skins can change the whole appearance of the UI, so maybe just try another one?

It says “default skin”. But when I try to change it, nothing happens, so I assume it needs a restart/reopening of the plugin, which I’m unable to do as it closes GP when I close the plugin. If I then restart GP and load Synthmaster in again it’s still on the same skin as if I never changed anything.
And if I save the gig without closing the plugin after having changed the skin, it still loads on “default skin” too.

Have you tried a re-install of the plugin? Seems to be something generally wrong with it…

+1

I tried on another computer, works fine here.