SWAM Sax 3

Any one else have problems with this plugin crackling, popping, etc?

I love the expressivity of this instrument, but I haven’t been able to get a consistent sound from it. I get a few crackles and pops peppered in each performance. It sounds like I have my Sample size too low, but CPU doesn’t seem to be struggling and I’m all the way up to 288 samples now and I still occasionally hear problems.

Could this be a sync issue of some sort? I remember in the early days of Saxophone bros by Audio Modeling, it was imperative to run the plugin in 48K or something like that.

Very hard to answer this without your providing significant information about your setup, sample rate, audio interface, platform, what other plugins are running, what the CPU meter is showing, etc

I am using it with Gig Performer and do not face the issue you describe.

1 Like

Macbook M1 Pro 2021, 32 GB
Ventura 13.3.1
Audio interface: RME UCXII
Clock: Internal @ 48Khz

6 instances:
Instances 1/2 @ 128 Samples:

1. IK B3x w/ effect chain ~ 15% CPU
  2. Korg M1 Piano w/ effect chain ~ 9 CPU

4 instances @ 288 samples.

Problem Rackspace occurs in my “horn” section. It consists of two Audio Modeling Trumpets, a Trombone, and a SWAM Saxophone. Up to two instances will run this horn section at a time. Usually the problem occurs with a saxophone. Doubling the number of saxophones does not double the amount of problems.

It runs well, but not perfectly. The popping happens every 15 minutes or so, and usually when using my Sax. The CPU stays around 14-16%. When I bring the samples down to 128 CPU reaches around 22% and the popping becomes frequent. Lengthening the sample buffer seems to help, but at a larger cost than I’m used to.

When I get home from my rehearsal, I’ll be more empirical in my measurements.

What is your sample buffer?

192 Samples 48kHz

If you just have one instance with the SWAM, does it work without glitching?

I tested with 6 instance, buffer size 128 samples sample rate 48 kHz
Found no glitches.

Tested also with 44.1 kHz, no issue

1 Like

Which version of the plugin do you use? AU, VST, VST3?

I tested with VST3 on my intel Mac book pro 2018

@samsonandersson, what about you?

Sorry for the delay:

I did get the chance to test a bit. I’m running on the AU version.

Here’s what it sounds like running the piano/bubble instances at 128 samples and the two saxes at 288 samples. Also, the unpleasantness happens across all the channels; bubble and piano included. The saxes were the most CPU intensive and they never got above 18%.

Using only one sax part does make the problem happen less frequent. However, I was able to catch it only using the bubble/piano and one sax instance. Same CPU readings.

Also, I’m sure that Logic exacerbated the issue. I’m going to test with the VST3 and get back to this thread.

It works better. I was able to get one little pop out of a single instance of SWAM in about 6-8 minutes of playing. 288 samples.

And did you try the VST3 version used by @pianopaul? It wouldn’t be the only time there are differences…

I tried the AU, VST, and VST3. All performed the same with the same problem.

Could it be due to the breath controller? Do you have the same issue without using it?

I believe @David-san was correct. The problem was expression related.

If I map my expression pedal to CC 2 and leave it at a single value, I can play two saxes at 64 samples endlessly without crackles. If I start to add expression to the pedal, the crackling begins. The higher the resolution of the expression, the more likely the audio is to crackle.

I’ve reduced the data resolution of my Hornberg HB1 by half and now the patch seems to be running well at 128 samples.

Thank you everyone. This Rackspace was forcing me to run instances with a 288 sample buffer. It will be nice to return to a snappy 128!

1 Like

Well, I’m glad I could put you on the right track. :wink:
It might be worth discussing it with Audio Modeling… :thinking:

1 Like

I just reached out to them with my observations and inquired about an optimum expression resolution. Thanks again!

2 Likes

I’m running intel mac mini i7 6 core with it and don’t have any issues with it in GP.