Stuck Notes?

Hi guys,

I have different variations in a rackspace that use a channel constrainer. All my midi input is on channel 1 and depending on the variation, it will keep channel 1 to 1, remap channel 1 to output channel 2 or remap channel 1 to output channel 3. There are different sounds on these output channels (using Kontakt) which will change a sound from harmonica to strings to horns.

I find sometimes when I switch variations, it holds the prior sound which can not be killed via a midi panic. Only way is to change to a different rackspace?

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

MM

Sounds like you’re still holding down notes but if you switch midi channels before you send the required Note Off message you will get stuck notes.

1 Like

Rereading your post, you probably shouldn’t do it that way. Instead you should use three different MIDI In blocks with the second and third mapped to channel 2 and 3 respectively. Then you should just use widgets to bypass the MIDI In blocks that you don’t need in each variation

1 Like

Thanks David. I’m triggering all this with a guitar via MIDI Guitar if that makes any difference.

Assume your solution doesn’t have the note off issue as the switching occurs while I’m playing so there may not be a note off (pause in the guitar playing)???

EDIT - I tried it and had the same issue. Is there a way to send an all notes off command when changing variations? Would that be the best way to solve it?

Thanks

MM

When you bypass a MIDI In block, it sends AllNoteOff messages to whatever it is connected.

But I don’t play a MIDI Guitar - people who do will have more insight into best practices.

I’m not sure why you’re not just using three different rackspaces and staying on the same MIDI channel

1 Like

Harmonica, strings, horns don’t sound like a “variation” on a sound to me :slight_smile:

These are rather separate instruments and it seems to me these should be in separate rackspaces, not variations.

Just copy your rackspace a few times and arrange/remove the plugins so you get only one instrument per rackspace.

This has enormous benefits to you. Separate widget control, instant switching, patch persist functionality which now you cannot get and much more. It’ll also stop your stuck notes issue automatically.

3 Likes

@djogon Thanks!!! That works though it does change my one rackspace per song approach.

Out of curiosity , is there no way to replicate that ability in a variation? What feature set makes that work in changing rackspaces versus variations within? And is there a way to send an all notes off command on a part change or other way? Thanks

MM

@dhj Thanks.Only because I originally set it up to have one rackspace per song but as this is workable, I will change my approach for these types of songs. Appreciate the help as always!

There may be but why would you want to? It just overcomplicates things and taxes your CPU?

2 Likes

I’ll go the new rackspace route. Makes sense. Will need to redo my gig file but with 4.5 and the ability to hold PCs , its worth it.

THanks

MM

1 Like

here’s how I do it:
3 midi-in blocks (with different outputs) that are connected to one Kontakt. Rackspace has 3 buttons that control bypass midi-in blocks. One variation - one button enabled (= one midi-in block not bypass). I haven’t tested with different channels in one vst plugin, but in all other cases it works fine. I can’t check on my own right now :frowning:

2 Likes

you can simply change the volume of each instrument inside kontakt using widgets, but this is not the best option :slight_smile:

That’s what David suggested above and that didn’t work for me. I think the separate rackspace is the way I will go. Thanks everyone!!!

MM

Another alternative is to just instantiate three copies of Kontakt in your rackspace and have one instrument in each – then all your MIDI stuff can stay on channel 1. The bypass stuff will always work

3 Likes

i do set up multi-bypass stuff, working based on using widgets.
one out of two active
one out of three active
one out of four active.
…everything else “bypassed”. AND where necessary, (vs. FX for example ), the audio shut down, using a mixer. Only one Block active.
Also: thats allways donne with a “One-Knob control”.
I just have to turn one knob.

i bypass this way:

• midi blocks ( never had a hanging note)
  • Instruments
  • FX

The curvature feature of the widgets is a quite powerful tool.

personally, NOT playing in a band, just for me, i prefer to have many different things within one Rackspace

1 Like

Rather than 1 rackspace per song- use setlists and song parts within a song- that’s what is for. I play fisherman triple play in a cover band and this is working well for me. I also like that I can drag and drop songs in different order and save new setlists. I have preset levels for each song part which is a variation of a rackspace.

BTW - I typically use 6 channel mono midi- 1 for each string unless the triple play is going to be in the trigger mode w no note bending such as organ or piano. But I use smooth for sax and auto for horns section. On some songs I have different sounds on different strings so I don’t have to change patches- so I need 6 channels of midi.

1 Like

Thanks. I went the song per rackspace route early on because there was a way to automatically create songs from the rackspaces and I had PC #s assigned to all of them. With 4.5 and the ability to keep your PC assignments (important for me as I use Bandhelper to send PCs per song) I will revisit the approach.

FWIW, I like Triple Play but am pretty impressed by MIDI Guitar 2. I am a GR55 Roland user thinking about going from Hardware to Software and Midi Guitar and GP 4.5 actually make that possible .

For whatever reason, did not work for me. Maybe I’ll shoot a quick video to show what’s happening.

I’ll check this out. I’m realizing the rackspace approach may work best and will reduce the number of them. And by having a lot less of them (not 1 per song) that should significantly reduce file size which would help predictive loading as well I think.

Thanks as always!!

thats perfectly fine.
I guess most musicians here will put their weight on the Rackspace approach :wink:
I just wanted to point out (also for others) that working with widgets is good for a lots of things. :wink:

with the “Rackspace approach” do you have a better overlookability, i´d figure.

1 Like