Stuck notes when switching variations

Is it my setup or can I expect GP to give me stuck notes when holding down a key when switching variations?
To toggle thru variations seemed to be a great way to play thru a song but stuck notes makes it impossible for me i a live situation.

I read about scipts and work arounds but no answer is really helping me. Is it my Setup or is this what I can expect? /KR

Hi @OlofSeg , welcome to the family :wink:

It depends on what you are doing in the different variations.
Do you bypass MIDI In Blocks?

Can you upload a small gig showing the issue?

MIDI In blocks send All Note Off and All Sound Off messages when they’re bypassed.

OK, good point.

So what do I do to not have notes stuck when switching variations? KR

As @pianopaul mentioned, if you create a small gig file demonstrating the issue and upload it (you may have to zip it first), we can take a look and perhaps find where the problem is.

Are you using Mac or Windows? Does the problem happen with every instrument or certain ones?

Without knowing what you are doing now, it’s very hard to answer that question.

It’s a bit like going to the doctor, telling him or her that something hurts, please cure me but I’m not going to tell you what is hurting!

@edm11 and @pianopaul both suggested how to start resolving your issue/

Not at work so I cant provide you with gig file.
Why would I bypass anything when all I want is a variation of for example volyme?

Please give us an example gig file where you face the issue.
We only can help when you show us what you are doing.
Thx

You wouldn’t! And changing volume wouldn’t have any impact on stuck notes.

But we don’t know what you’re doing so we can’t tell you WHY you’re getting stuck notes.

That said, you don’t seem particularly interested in actually helping us to help you. Can’t help wondering if you’re just trying to troll us.

Whats this? I had a question about my setup being wrong or if GP had this issue overall. You are the first one givin me the answer that my problem shouldn’t be there. Thanks! And as I said, i will post a file as soon as I can. KR

1 Like

@OlofSeg This is a really good group in solving problems quickly…you’ll soon find out. Post your file when you get the chance and we’ll get back to you :grin:

2 Likes

Olof Stuck notes.gig (1.9 MB)

Here is a gig-file thats creating stuck notes. KR / Olof

I guess (cannot proof it atm) that AnalogLab doesn’t properly interpret the above mentioned “AllNotesOff” and “AllSoundsOff” messages which are (should be) sent on bypassing a MIDI-IN block.
I encountered the “AllNotesOff” ignorance of some plugins myself, though i cannot recall which plugin(s) i had that issue with - and since AnalogLabs tends to be hot candidate for exotic plugin behaviour anyway (people encountered various issues with it, if you search the forum), the probability that those messages are not properly handled seems to be quite high!
AnalogLabs is some kind of container plugin, which houses the actual Arturia synth plugins, so maybe an “AllNotesOff” (and maybe other messages) are just not passed through to the underlying plugins.

Anyway, i wouldn’t use the bypassing of a MIDI-Plugin but rather use the blocking of NoteOn messages, so that no new notes will be played, but NoteOff messages still can be sent.

Hi! Thanks for the answer! Trying to read out what I should do here, Is it not to use Arturia Analog Lab VST:s? KR

Hm, at least this is something you could try to find the actual cause for your issue - check if using separate plugins instead of AnalogLab does change anything.
Also you should try if using the “#288 BlockNoteOn” parameter instead of the “#2 Bypass Plugin” of the MIDI-IN blocks will work for your purposes.

You Bypass MIDI In Blocks.
This is never a good Idea
Better you block Note On Messages, so Note Off messages come through
And whith Bypassing a MIDI In Block a bunch of reset messages are sent to the connect plugins.
In which of the Analog Lab plugins do you get having notes?
And via widgets you do a transpose of MIDI In Blocks.

Ok, I have to learn more about midi blocks, blocking and bypassing. New ground for me.
Anyway, When I reinstalled everything and started over with a new project the problems seemed to go away. Not shouting Yeahaaa just yet. Testning around a bit more.