Strymon Bigsky VST

Huh. Pretty big day. Apparently Strymon’s BigSky reverb hardware pedal has been “directly ported” to a VST. Evidently it has some additional features that make sense as a VST.

I observe (from outside the US) they seem to have the cart before the horse a bit as far as selling a VST online though since they have not got a ubiquitous solution for VST sales outside the US. Oops. I’m sure they will get that sorted out quickly to support demand. I looked at the Bigsky some time back. US$199 is a nice alternative to the hardware pedal price it seems to me.

Edit: apparently requires iLok

There are so many great reverb plugins out there. My concern with this is the same as the Fractal Audio (Axe-FX) reverb plugin - it will never be updated because it’s not part of their core business and/or they outsourced the plugin specific components and will be either very slow with fixes or forever remain on version 1.0.

But looking forward to be proven wrong :blush:

@rank13 I have no dog in this race except that my study has led me to the widespread love for this pedal. After a bit more investigation I think your points about effects of general unfamiliarity with the VST business seem well taken. To be constructive I suspect if they took the $29.99 “insane” sale pricing approach, and a global e-commerce solution with an abundant support effort they could probably achieve brisk sales. But concerns about support and updates are well founded. I guess what you’re saying is they need to demonstrate that they mean it.

Interestingly I see Arturia’s Microbrute released yesterday includes an exclusive VST emulation of itself exclusively free download for registered hardware owners.