Stop GigPerformer Exclusively Using the SoundCard?

Hi,
Is there any way to set GP to not prevent other applications from sharing a soundcard?

Specifically I’m using a Presonus AudioBox iOne. The drivers for this allow me to play mp3s with Windows media player whilst programming in Cubase Pro 9.5, but if I try the same with GP windows media player can’t see the soundcard at all.

I appreciate that I could pull up another audio file player in GP as a workaround, but it’s practically much easier doing this over 2 monitors using windows media player, so if there is a non-exclusive mode in GP I’d like to have it available at least whilst setting up instruments to accompany backing tracks.

Thanks,
Roger

Thanks,
Roger

Are you on windows on Mac?

What soundcard are you using?
On Windows you should use a so called multi client Asio driver.

Hi,
I’m on a laptop running only win 10. Sound card is currently a Presonus Audio iOne.

The only option to select this card in GP is the Audio iOne ASIO driver, same as for Cubase Pro 9.5.

I also have M-Audio and MiniDsp usb cards I can try this with at the weekend to see if it’s just a GP issue. All I can see right now is that GP appears to exclusively grab the sound card whereas Cubase doesn’t.

It’d be good if this could work because the Presonus is class compliant so when travelling I can also use it with an iPad.

thanks,
Roger

This is strictly a Windows issue. It has nothing to do with GP. I use an iconnectivity audio4+. It comes with a multi-client ASIO driver. I wonder what other devices are out there that support a multi-client Asio driver.

You can do a few things, but if it works with Cubase - then it will certainly work with GP as well.

If you are absolutely sure that you are using the same ASIO driver in your media player and Cubase - then please check the sample rate/buffer size settings you have in Cubase. Those must be identical for you to be able to use the same driver with multiple applications.
Another option is to simply install the ASIO4ALL driver and use it with one application while using the native ASIO driver with another.

There is a blog entry about the ASIO4ALL option here https://www.gigperformer.com/how-to-create-two-gig-performer-instances-with-single-client-asio-driver-on-windows

I don’t know if it helps - but I found this link (which may or may not be useful). I haven’t tried it:-

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48

Barry

The presonus driver is indeed multi client so this is not strictly a windows issue, but possibly a bit of both…
I found something to try. in Windows 10 there’s a setting in device manager under soundcard/properties/advanced to untick which prevents applications taking exclusive use of an audio device.
UAudio mention that this only applies to some applications so Cubase and GP may behave differently if not prevented from grabbing the soundcard exclusively.

I’ll try it this evening and post back.

Turned out that parameter in Device Manager I mentioned doesn’t exist for the Presonus Audiobox iOne.

However, I noticed that there was a newer version of the software which contained both new firmware and a new driver, which I installed.

After which GP and media player play happily together.

was weird though, as before I did this I did check and can confirm that Cubase Pro 9.5 worked alongside media player with the old software and firmware

Thanks for the update. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a hack somewhere specifically to allow cubase to coexist with media player

Edit: Found this after a search.

“Focus on Devices > Device Setup > VST Audio System and the “Release when application is in background” switcher, please”

So that would suggest that Cubase can stop using the audio card when in the background.

1 Like