Stereo cross fader

To only crossfade, you wouldn’t need scripting at all…
Two fader widgets and a mixer block, that’s it.
Put both widgets in a group, invert the value of one of them, and learn one to chan 1+2 of the mixer and the other to chan 3+4. Grouping them will make them move together, inverting the value of one, will make it to lower the according channel volume while the widget itself is raised up.
So in a group, the one raises its channel while the other does the opposite.
Voila! No script at all!
x-fade.rackspace (7.8 KB)

2 Likes

:+1: :+1:

1 Like

That’s how my proposal works too when using it manually, but there is an additional optional script which starts a timer which moves the sliders slowly for you in both direction according to the timing adjustable with a knob.

1 Like

You are right, i can slightly remember that we already discussed this topic some time ago.
However, the problem seems to be solved now (fingers crossed :wink: ).

… until next time :wink:

1 Like

Using GP gain controls, you can achieve crossfading easily but with an annoying global volume decrease around 50%.

Thanks to MRatio curves, you can have classic types of crossfade but also more elegant curves such as constant power that keeps the 2 sources at the same volume between 100 to 50% for one and 50 to 100% for the second.

I didn’t thought about this and as I don’t use crossfades myself I didn’t notice it, but thinking about it you are very right. With scripting we could compensate this quite easily Ithink. It could be your contribution to this topic? :wink:

Erik, how does anyone adjust the time from a short (3 sec) to a long (8 sec) cross fade? Is this the reason for the script?

The whole automatic (time based) movement of the fader is the reason for the script.
So without a script under the hood, everything has to be done manually.

No script for me as far as possible: I am not attracted by scripting at all!

But here is my contribution: in these 2 videos, you can hear the different crossfade effects using GP gains or Melda MRatio.
The GP one is a fade in/fade out effect.
The MRatio one is a morphing effect.

1 Like

The difference can be heard very clear.

Maybe an improvement for the gain control to support different pan options?

This would be an interesting option to avoid overloading the system with additional plug-ins when sophisticated functions are not required.
For example, simply having 2 curve parameters like these shown on the videos would be a plus.

OK, for the fun I put a X-fader script with this option on my growing personal list :grimacing:

2 Likes

I’d be keen to try it out:)

I finally got the the answer I was looking for from Melda. It appears that the cross fade can be set to a maximun of six seconds (6000 ms) from within MRatio. Its a bit hard to find though.

From Luke at Melda:
“Please, use the Multiparameter (M1 and M2 under Toolbar panel) and switch time (under Switch Mode).”

3 Likes

Good to know! Thanks for this hint! :+1:

Correct me, but it seems that this function is not available in the free version because it uses modulators…

Luke from Melda never mentioned the paid version and I haven’t actually tried it myself, so dont really know at this stage.

I tried it and it says to upgrade.
Indeed, automatism works through a modulator, and modulators are not available in the free version.

Here is the free GP version which goes up to 10s (or as much as you want if you modify the GPScript). I keeps power constant (you can test it with twice the same sound):

auto-crossfade_constant_power.gig (10.4 KB)

2 Likes