Stale Variation Data?

There are cases where I want a Widget to have the same value across all variations. For instance, I might want to increase my backing track level across all variations for a given song. I could set the Widget to Ignore Variations, but I’ve recently found that the values from these Widgets would not get saved in the Song Snapshot.

My solution was to DISABLE Ignore Variations for all Widgets. When adjusting a Widget across a Song, I would adjust the Widget, ENABLE Ignore Variations, save it (which should set it at one level across the song), then DISABLE Ignore Variations. If I view all Variations while Ignore Variations is ENABLED and then save the Gig, it works. If I do not view all of the Variations, some stale Values remain in the variations, and I do not get a consistent value across all Variations.

I’ve included a Gig with a detailed test procedure to show the anomaly.

Ideally, when saving a Gig with a Widget that Ignores Variations, the same value would be stored across all of the variations in order to overwrite stale data that could cause surprises.

As a workaround, I will view all variations when Ignore Variations is Enabled before saving, but ideally, this would not be necessary.
StaleVariationData.gig (313.7 KB)

I could not reproduce the failure with the listed steps in the gig file using Windows GP version 4.8.2.

var

1 Like

Thanks for posting the video. That’s excellent.

Actually, it also failed. The assertion is that Var 1, 3 should have a result of 100%, but it did not, so it failed the assertion. Note that Var 1, 2 and Var 1, 3 have different values, simply because you viewed Var 1, 2, but did not view Var 1, 3.

My goal is to temporarily set the Widget to Ignore Variations, change the value, and save it so that the value for all Variations is the same. I then return the Widget to DISABLE Ignore Variations, so that it can be captured as part of the Song Part Snapshot.

I believe that once I make an adjustment, the result should not vary depending on what I viewed or did not view.