SoundTower Editor VST for the Prophet Rev2 synth doesn't work

Hi,

I want to use GigPerformer with the SoundTower Editor VST for the Prophet Rev2 synth.

But it doesn’t work.

The Editor VST needs to be internally configured with the Midi In and Out ports/devices where the Prophet Rev2 is connected. But these devices are configurable in the Editor VST but they are not working properly because they are already used by GigPerformer.
There should be a way to deactivate their usage in GigPerformer. (This is for instance how it works in Cubase)

But I didn’t find such an option.
Can someone help me or is this not possible in GigPerformer?

Only to mention it: The editor VST works fine in Cubase, VstHost or CamelotPro.

Thank you.

@SynthPlayer, welcome to the Gig Performer Community!
Gig Performer opens all MIDI interfaces available, but then, especially on Windows, these interfaces are no more available for third party softwares. That’s a limitation of Windows, so I suppose you are on Windows ?
An upcoming release of GP will allow to exclude from GP some particular MIDI interfaces, which should solve your problem if I understand well. So stay tuned :wink:

1 Like

Yes, it’s no secret (I suppose) that the next minor release of GP coming soon will have the ability to NOT open some ports specifically to address this issue. It will be a free update so if you have already bought GP, it won’t cost you anything more.

1 Like

Thank you (@dhj @David-san ). I think that would solve the problem.
Hope it’s coming soon.

Hi,

I found a workaround.

Before you start GigPerformer, you need to block the Midi ports of the REV2 in another application.
After starting GigPerformer and the REV2 Editor plugin you close the other application.
Then the REV2 Editor plugin can use the Midi ports in GigPerformer.

br

Good idea, which application did you use for this ?

Just as a minor footnote to this, the problem on Windows is that the standard Microsoft class compliant USB midi drivers are single client.

In my experience most manufacturer supplied midi drivers do not have this problem. But I see that Sequential relies on the standard (bad) Microsoft driver.

Good that you solved your problem, but here are a couple other thoughts:

1. Tobias Erichsen has written a class compliant windows USB midi driver that is truly multiclient. It basically replaces the Microsoft one and lets multiple apps open the midi device at the same time. See this page. The hitch is that the driver has to know the device id’s of the item you want to use it, so you have to email him to discuss how to get it to work.

2. I think you could use loopMIDI (also from Tobias Erichsen) to create virtual midi ports that are multiclient capable. See this link. Before starting GigPerformer you’d run loopMIDI and create a virtual port (let’s call it Rev2virtual). (You can choose to have loopMIDI always do this on startup if you want, so it’s a one time thing.) Inside your Rev2 VST you should be able to connect to that Rev2virtual device, and inside GigPerformer you should be able to connect the actual Prophet midi device (that GP grabs) to the virtual device you created.

3. You could use Bome MIDI Translator (in conjunction with loopMIDI) to set up the duplicate routing to the virtual midi port you create with loopMIDI and then you wouldn’t have to do anything special in GigPerformer. Again, you can set up Bome to do this at system startup so it’s just a thing you set up once and forget about it.

I think option 1 is your best bet, but it requires emailing Tobias and having him respond. I have no basis to know how responsive he is.

Hi @David-san ,

I used the free VSTHost by Hermann Seib.

I think it doesn’t matter what you use. But VSTHost is very configurable and flexible (and free).

br

Hi @Vindes ,

thank you for your proposals.
I know the tools of Erichsen and have them installed (loopMidi) but not tested at the moment.

I use the IConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ midi hub.
It’s midi driver should be already multiclient enabled, so I thought this wouldn’t solve the problem.

But I will test again, to get a more comfortable solution.

loopMidi can be a solution but you need a way to forward the midi messages at the other end of the virtual cable. That’s why I wasn’t going that way.

BomeMidi Translator is unfortunately not free as I know at the moment.

I will report again.

br

I’m not giving anything away by telling you that GP 3.6, hopefully coming in the next 3 weeks or so (don’t hold me to it but real soon now) has a new option to tell GP to not open specified ports precisely so you can do what you’re trying to do.

1 Like

Hi @dhj,

thanks, looking forward to it.

br