[sound] How to create a Geddy Lee type of bass sounds

In this video Dennis Ward explains how to create a Geddy Lee type of bass sounds.

Geddy Lee is a Canadian musician, singer, and songwriter. He is best known as the lead vocalist, bassist, and keyboardist for the Canadian rock group Rush.

More information here.

7 Likes

Very useful video. Thanks for sharing. I have a license for Waves InPhase, but stopped using all Waves plugins, so I’ll wait for MAutoAlign to show up in Melda’s Weekly 50% Madness sale.

One little part of Geddy’s sound might be difficult to address with plugins. He mentioned many moons ago that a part of his sound is due to him closing a car door on his right index finger when he was young, and now has a very thick fingernail. He gets a little more “bite” from that.

I am NOT going to slam a car door on my finger and hope it works out that way. :rofl:

5 Likes

Here’s a photo from the first tour I saw Rush…Fly By Night, around New Year’s Eve at B’ginnings in Schaumburg, a northwest suburb of Chicago. Been a fan ever since. This was shortly after Neal Peart joined Rush.

5 Likes

Waiting pays off :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can use Melda’s MUtility Plugin to correct phase issues also.
It is part of the freeplugin bundle and is possible to delay the signal using milliseconds or samples!

I highly recommend to give Meldas freeplugin-bundle a try as there are many useful things in there.

3 Likes