Sound carries on after playing stops

I’ve just bought a Surface Pro 6 i7 with 16 gig of ram. I used it at a gig tonight with an accordion sound rack space. The rack space had 3 accordions panned left, right and centre each slightly out of tune giving a chorusing effect. Several times during the gig, the sound stayed playing after I lifted my hands. This happened during fast single note passages. I had to hit the panic button to cut the sound off. Then I could carry on playing as normal. Is there a common reason for this happening, and if so, what can I do about it?

Don’t play so fast :slight_smile:

Seriously though, you don’t mention what controller you’re using — and most likely it is one of the following:

a) your controller is skipping some Note Off messages
b) your plugin is not responding to all MIDI events (unlikely though)
c) you’re somehow sending a sustain on (CC 64) message

Note: it’s really difficult to provide any better guidance when you don’t say what controller you’re using, what plugins you’re using and so forth.

Thanks for your thoughts David. I’ve never been accused of playing too fast
Unfortunately:)

• Controller is an Alesis Vortex wireless
  • Audio interface is a Behringer U Control UCA 222
  • Plugins are UVI Workstation and Cakewalk Dimension Pro.

The Behringer is set to 44100 Hz at 256 samples (5.8 ms)

Wireless? Say no more — maybe new battery? Dropouts?

Also, might be a firmware issue. See

Extremely unlikely to be a Gig Performer issue though - otherwise we’d be hearing about this from many users.

Thanks again for the info. Is latency likely to be an issue? I can adjust up or down in the Behringer control panel. I already have that update you referenced and have replaced the batteries with fresh alkaline. I’ll see what happens next time I use it.

But the person who posted that update said it doesn’t solve the problem!

Latency where? As far as Gig Performer is concerned, it just sounds like Note Off events are not being received.

I would bet seriously on your wireless stuff being the problem. The description from the poster who said it worked fine when he tested and failed when he was at the gig sounds suspiciously like wireless interference happening at the gig location.

The only wireless MIDI system I’ve ever seen that appears to be reliable is MIDIjet (https://www.midiworks.ca/index.php/products/category/8/wireless-midi-products). If the signal gets weak, the receiver automatically sends note off events.

I gigged again last night and the same accordion rackspace did the same thing. However, all other rackspaces in GP worked well. The offending patch has three plugins so I’m going to remove one of them that I have my suspicions about to see if that helps.

Interesting. What is the plugin?

It’s only a guess because I couldn’t check while playing, but I’m suspecting Cakewalk Dimension Pro as it’s quite old now. The other two plugins in the rackspace are both UVI Workstation which was updated recently and is reliable. Dimension Pro is probably 10 years old now, but it is 64bit.

Is it a 32-bit plugin with which you’re using something like jBridge to make it work with GP?

No it’s 64bit. Dim Pro came as a VST with Cakewalk Sonar X3. I’ve had Sonar X3 for several years and never updated it. Because it’s old (maybe 8 years?) I just figured it was the likeliest culprit. I keep using Dimension Pro because the sounds it produces are just lovely.