Song specific patch banks

There are users (like the one from the recent FB discussion) that don’t want to spend much time tweaking their plugins to match the sounds of songs they want to cover. They are interested in having “song specific” patches in bundles that work like “buy and play”.

I figured out that it may be useful to have this thread so these users get quickly get started.

A nice starting point are plugins such as Arturia V Collection that offer “famous sound” patch banks. A fair number of sounds is free - LINK

Sonic Projects OP-X comes with a bank of famous sounds - LINK.

What would you suggest? :slight_smile:

One more recommendation for Arturia → LINK

3 Likes

I like this idea. I know that there are many talented keyboardists out there that almost go blind when confronted with 40,000 knobs and switches and tend to go with their keyboards’ stock settings. This idea could get them in the door to possibly see how creating new and exciting sounds is actually accomplished.

I’m assuming this would be a sub-section of our Community Shared Gigs & Patches?

If you look in the Arturia link provided and search for “Tribute”, you’ll quickly find all of their preset packs that would be of use to someone looking to cover various artists. It’s still a good idea to learn a little about customizing your own sounds, but can be a great starting point

1 Like

Just this single thread. :slight_smile:

Any tutorials about specific patches should go in separate threads :slight_smile:

1 Like

Decatur is a sampled based Kontakt library highlighting the keyboard and synth sounds used by some of the most influential artists throughout the 1980’s.

Link: https://almalibrestudios.com/decatur/

4 Likes

Wow…only $20? That seems very inexpensive for what this claims to provide. I wonder how good are the sounds

1 Like

You have the demo(s) at the link above.
Very convincing, from what I heard.

2 Likes

I purchased the sounds and, as is usually the case with me, I had difficulty inserting them into Kontakt 7. But after that worked, they sound better than, for example, Arturia Tribute sounds in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yes, I would love to hear more reviews.

For example, how are arpeggiated parts handled? Are they just samples of the arp that are triggered. Or is there an arpeggiator (in Kontakt?) that is used?

What happens if you trigger them, stop, and re-trigger them?

Jeff

I found the arppegiated Sounds unintuitive. Since I don’t need them live, I only tried out a few well-known ones, for example from Duran Duran. They sound better to me with sonicprojects OP X Pro II. I’m currently on vacation and only have an Irig 37 pro and an iPad, so unfortunately I can’t tell you more at the moment.

1 Like

I just listened to some of the demos. Seems hit and miss to me.

It certainly is a lot for $20.

But some of the sounds seem worse than what I get poking around V Collection (or Syntronik 2). For example, Melt With You sounded pretty off.

But some others sounded good to me (that I would use them). If I get a new song where their demo sounds good, there is a good chance (for $20) I will eventually succumb.

Jeff

I have some new songs I have to learn on their list. So, for $20, I ordered it. Hopefully it will be useful. I’ll let you know.

I also just pulled the trigger on this one… we’ll see. :grimacing:

I installed it. I think I will get my money’s worth.

Probably the most valuable aspect of this is they give you the name of the song each sound is from.

I suspect I have almost all of these sounds already, but finding them can be time consuming.

Yeah, I already found a couple to replace what I was using that sound much closer to the original sound so I’m pretty happy at the price point.

That’s exactly how it was for me, I replaced some of the self-programmed sounds, but not all of them. For example, I don’t know what they mean by a “piano” in Summer Of 69’ - Bryan Adams. In any case, it goes very quickly if you want to play one of the songs. I’m quite satisfied.