Song Part view - maybe a Feature Request

so, context to start off: I have a song that contains about 10 parts, i have a small-ish laptop screen that sits a distance from the keyboard player so smart use of screen space is key. The keyboardist understandably wants to see the current song part + upcoming and previous parts on screen (in case one gets skipped in the excitement) but with the current setlist view, any un-displayed parts do not get displayed (in the song part viewer) when switching to them.

Now, i’m aware they are visible in the song list on the side, and i am aware you can increase the number of rows/number per row - but due to the visibility/screen size issues this doesn’t really work out well. As a workaround i have a ‘current part’ label in the global rackspace which works fine, but it’s a little bit redundant to have two places showing the same info and i’d prefer to use the space for other things (especially considering the songpart bit is specifically meant for that one thing only)

An ideal solution, as i see it, would be to have a kind of ‘scrolling’ center so for i.e. 5 parts shown, the first and second section are as normal, but then from the 3rd section until the point there are only two parts left, the middle section always contains the current/active part, section 1 and 2 always contain the previous 2 parts and 4+5 the next two. Similar to how the current song is shown with the previous and next either side

Just in case as i’m not sure i’m very good at describing what i mean, the sequence would look something like

[01 Part 1] [02 Part 2] [03 Part 3] [04 Part 4] [05 Part 5]

[02 Part 2] [03 Part 3] [04 Part 4] [05 Part 5] [06 Part 6]

[03 Part 3] [04 Part 4] [05 Part 5] [06 Part 6] [07 Part 7]

Thanks, sorry for the ramble!

1 Like

I think this would work ok if you were using a controller to switch parts and just wanted visibility of which part was selected.

It might be a bit awkward if you were using your finger on a touchscreen or even your mouse, because when you clicked it would suddenly scroll across, so your finger/mouse would no longer be over the one you just selected.

It’s an interesting idea – the current design was intended to be a 1-1 correspondence with the buttons on a physical pedal controller but I can see how your suggestion could be useful. We will put it on our tracking system.

2 Likes