[Solved]Variations not responding to PC messages

Hi,

I’m still on the trial of gig performer and one of the key things I need to be able to do is switch variations via Midi PC message. I just can’t get it to work, I’m sure I’m just doing something wrong, but can’t figure it out. Details:

• Line 6 Helix is connected via USB to 2017 MacBook Pro
  • I’ve programed 3 buttons on the Helix to send out PC1, PC2 and PC3 (respectively) on midi ch1.
  • I verified in the midi monitor utility that Gigperformer is seeing those separate PC messages when I step on each button.
  • I have a rig with 3 variations. I went to the properties of each of the variations and set them to receive program changes.
  • When I send the PCs from the Helix, the variations do not change.

It seems as though Gigperfomer is receiving the messages (as verified by the midi monitor utility), but the changes don’t seem to make it to the rig. What am I doing wrong?

I searched the forum and didn’t find anything exactly like what I’m asking…sorry if I missed it.

Can you please post a screen shot of what the midi monitor is displaying?

Success! I figured it out. I wasn’t sending the PC on the right bank. I added Bank 00 to the Helix footswtich along with the PC message and things work perfectly. This pretty seals the deal for me to buy the Gigperformer. It’ll be the perfect solution to add VST amp sims and most importantly my impending Fishman TriplePlay purchase.

Yes, I suspected it was a bank issue, but wanted to see a screen shot to confirm.

NB - we have quite a few Fishman TriplePlay + Helix users so hopefully they will be willing to share their experiences.

I should point out that there is a way to tell Gig Performer to ignore bank changes

Welcome to the forum! So glad you figured that out! I am one of the Helix/Variax/FTP users here and I believe that once you try using Songs in setlist to sent patch changes to your Helix, you’ll find that whole bunches of new possibilities open up for you. Prior to using GigPerformer, I used to load my relevant patches in the correct sequential running order because Line6 didn’t think it important to include a MIDI map/setlist feature, requiring you to layout your patches in a linear, sequential fashion, or tap dance to scroll thru banks and patches. It’s far more powerful having GP control the Helix because you can jump across the 8 banks in Helix instantaneously.

This has changed the way I use the Helix memory. For my regular weekly gig, I have to manage about 500 songs a year, so I have created more of a library structure. I set up four setlist banks:

Bank 1) Electrics A-M
Bank 2) Electrics N-Z
Bank 3) Atmospheric and hybrid patches (Hybrid=Variax layered Magnetic and modeled sounds)
Bank 4) Acoustics.

Then, I have other groups that I perform with periodically throughout the year. For these, I maintain two empty banks that I fill with saved setlist, rotating them in and out as needed.

Bank 5) Group B setlist.
Bank 6) Group C setlist.

Finally, in the last two setlist banks I keep my patch templates as well as a library of favorite 3rd party and factory patches I keep around as starting points or just for jamming if I am in the mood to doing something different.

Bank 7) My templates setlist.
Bank 8) 3rd party and factory patches setlist.

Another advantage to keeping setlists 5 & 6 open is that I can reload old setlists of my own if I’m looking for a particular patch from the past or if I want to compare changes I have made to a patch to an earlier state of that patch. I have an “Init” setlist that will reset the setlist to a blank state in one fell swoop.

I also have most patches saved separately as well. I export copies of new patches or changed patches to folders the night before a gig. In this way I have rendundant copies in case a patch becomes corrupt.

I use GigPerformer to send program and snapshot changes to my Helix from Song parts. That way, I only need to step through the song parts and all my synths and guitar sounds follow along beautifully. I’m doing a lot more playing and much less tap dancing!

Peace!

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the great information. I’m definitely looking to do anything too terribly complicated. I mostly want to be able to play some of my VST amps (Mercuriall, Neural DSP), along with the Helix and (after I make the purchase) add in synth sounds from the Triple Play. I don’t play live anymore, but I still like to be able to control things with my feet, hence the MIDI question.

I was also wanting to add some sort of looping solution to the mix and came across a looping plugin called Enso by Audio Damage. Does anyone have experience with it? My thought would be to run everything through Gigperformer with Enso as the list thing in the chain so I could loop anything I want. There’s no mention of a trial on the Enso (https://www.audiodamage.com/products/ad049-enso) website so I’d just have to take the $79 plunge and hope for the best. Hopefully someone has some insight.

Thanks again.

I am such a happy bunny today after finding this forum I’ve been so frustrated over the last 9 months trying to figure all this out and hopefully after gettin here I’ll be able to get things sorted

I’m sure I’ll get there now ! This is an email I’ve bounces around a few people so please ignore the irrelevant!

Many thanks - just at the start do you have any pics of your rig videos
And screen shots of your gp screens ?

Lots of questions - should I head over to gig performer

1. what’s your recommended routing set up
    (I’ve downloaded the demo of gig performer )

does the helix control gig performer ? Via midi or snapshots ?

Live Rig

i want to be able to run my guitars into Helix - run VSTs via FTP also run Bias FX2 on my Mac (Mac book )
either in Logic\ Gigperformer / main stage or preferably standalone ? (Would these work)

1. Is this all possible within the Helix
  2. Can I control bias effects on Mac via midi - switch on effects use vol pedal and wahs from Bias - from helix ?
  3. I want to run Bias in parallel or in line through the Helix to combine bias and helix effects and amps ?
  4. Would I be able to control the Vsts via midi - ie use vol pedals to mix guitar and plug ins through the helix pedals snapshots
  5. Can you use a usb hub with the helix to run multiple usb devices through it at the same time ?
    6 Could I run the FTP through the Helix ?
  6. I want to run the rig stereo and to front of house would I have enough ins and outs

So to summarise - I want to have a super rack that I can have multiple effects amps and cabs from either the Helix or Bias effects - utilise my FTP and VSTs through the helix using the helix as the hub controlling everything via midi and snapshots

many thanks

chris short

@Lukather Yes, you can do all of this except #5 (don’t knw what you’re trying to accomplish there). I was able to accomplish everything you listed. The biggest challenge is latency - it worked but lag becomes an issue pretty quickly.

Here’s the basic example of what I did:

1. JTV69 Variax -> Helix floor (via VDI).
  2. Setup a typical helix signal chain as my “local” sound processing with a dedicated output block.
  3. Connected a USB cable from the Helix to my laptop where I had created a GigPerformer rack (running Bias FX, Waves PRS, even Helix Native or several simultaneously).
  4. Helix automatically sends a duplicate of the input block to outputs USB 7&8, so I set GP’s Audio setup to receive input from the Helix output 7 or 8.
  5. I set GP’s audio output to Helix input 3&4.
  6. Back on the Helix, I set up another input block (in my case 2B) to receive input from USB 3&4 for use as an “external” sound processing chain with it’s own dedicated output block.
  7. Once you confirm that audio is working and flowing properly, you can add sound processing as you wish, mix/blend the two sources locally (via the output blocks) or send to different outputs on the Helix and program the Helix pedal switches and snapshot to control the whole rig.

That being said, as advanced as the Helix is, as a MIDI device GP is far more powerful controller, quicker to program and customize so I stop using it as my rig’s “brain.” Now, GP is the “command center” of my rig sending patch changes, changing snapshots and has the control granularity to turn on or off effects, alter parameters, switch signal paths, switch guitars (Variax), re-tune my guitar (Variax), change string levels (Variax) etc.

Variations on the basic example include using send return points (and outputs), using USB 5&6 for more processing, etc.

Look at the USB diagram on page 51 of the Helix Owner’s manual to understand the USB implementation on the Helix. Remember that USB inputs 1&2 are routed directly to the Helix’s outputs and that there’s no way to control the signal dynamically during a performance. Useful if you’re playing MP3s from a separate device between sets, but not very useful as a performance tool. Likewise, outputs 7&8 are reserved to transmit duplicate copies of the guitar input. So that gives you 3 stereo or 6 mono USB I/O paths to play with.

Hope that helps!

(PS -as far as #5 goes, you should be able to rout whatever audio you want from your computer to the Helix.)

1 Like