Solved: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)

I decided to post this as it took me hours to find a solution and might be of use to others.

When I tried to start Gig Performer on a freshly installed Windows 10 machine, the following crash occurred:

“The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)…”

The problem appears to be with the MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll that are included in the installation of Gig Performer.
Only including these files does not seem to be enough.

Downloading and installing “Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015” solved the issue. You can get it from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Louis, first of all, thank you so much for posting your efforts — just from a personal perspective, I always appreciate it when people take the time to post information so that others can be helped.

Our Windows expert is on vacation so we might not be able to resolve this immediately. I’m a bit surprised however that that redistributable is not already in the installer, I would have expected many more reports of GP not being able to run on Windows.

However, we take all such reports seriously so we’ll certainly look into this as high priority as possible and we certainly appreciate your patience with this issue.

D

You’re welcome. It’s usually forums like these that enable me to find solutions to problems (in this case the one known as “DLL Hell”…), so it simply feels like returning a (very small) favour to “the community” :slight_smile:

I also think that Gig Performer is a product with great potential and it would be a shame if people are put off by minor issues like these.

I guess we’re going to have to set up a virgin install of Windows 10 and then install GP and see what happens. It’s very odd though.
Is it possible that you had an older version of that DLL in your path so that even though the new one is installed, the older version was being picked up?

I did a full WinMerge comparison between the system32 and syswow64 folders of my rack and home pc. All dlls that were on both pcs were same or newer versions on the rack pc (where it failed). On the rack pc the vs2015 files were not present in system32 nor in syswow64. I then found on the site of Microsoft that the dll discovery mechanism in Windows is unfortunately much more complicated than just visiting some paths in a certain order. Perhaps some other program instantiated an older version of the dlls (or one on which they depend) which was then reused by Windows for Gig Performer, but I’m just guessing here. I simply decided to download and install the mentioned visual studio redistributable stuff and it solved the issue.