Simple (and hopefully free) one-shot sample vst for windows?

I have a bunch of little one-off samples, whether they be vocal noises, stabs, drum sounds, etc… that I used to trigger on either my Kronos pads or from the pedals on my FCB1010 foot controller. Does anyone have a recommendation of a simple one-shot sample player that I could map to custom midi notes (or Midi CC)? On my desktop PC, I use Cakewalk’s Session drummer or Bitwig’s drum sampler and they work fine. I know there are a ton of samplers out there, but most of them seem to be way more involved than what I actually need.

Maybe you can use the inbuilt Audio Player of Gig Performer
What about Kontakt from NI?
Or Battery from NI

1 Like

Oh duh. I never even thought about Kontakt. I’ve never loaded samples in there (or in Battery). I’ll give them a shot.

Regarding the built-in audio player - any issue with loading up 4-5 of them in a rack and mapping them to keys (I’m at work and can’t verify myself)?

You could use the audio player but if you have Kontakt, that’s a much more flexible solution.

Just create a new instrument in kontakt, open it (click the wrench), click the Mapping Editor to open the keyboard layout view and then just drag your sample to the desired key location

1 Like

You might also want to take a look at TX16Wx. There’s a free version, and I think you can also demo the PRO features (all the same binary).

https://www.tx16wx.com/

1 Like

I love using Battery 4 for playing one shot samples. So easy to setup.

2 Likes

thanks everyone - I’ve been using almost exclusively hardware synths for the last 10 years, and short of programming actual sounds, I’ve never really had much of a need to dig into some of the nitty gritty type details of some of these soft synths. This forum is great. Thanks for indulging me with all my annoying questions.

You’re right…I forgot about battery…for one shot stuff, it’s way easier than Kontakt

1 Like

I’ve owned Battery since I bought K9U. Totally forgot about it. My keyboard has 12 pads. Perfectomundo!

1 Like

Battery is ideal for those one-shot scenarios. I used to use Kontakt for one-shot, but Battery is quicker for the job at hand.

X

I’ve always used the built in audio player for one shot effects that I trigger from my foot controller.

You can have a separate instance just for the effects and trigger them at any point without impacting your instrument rackspaces.

How Are you using the Audioplayer when you Need for example every beat A new sample and each sample should play for example 2 bars?

I’ve just used it for sound fx triggering, nothing as fancy as what @pianopaul suggests :slight_smile: