Short CPU overloads, cracks when WiFi OFF

Hello, just started to work with GP on new NUC PC(Win10). There is one interesting thing. When I turn off the Wifi (as it is suggssted) there are short CPU overloads (sometime) with the Pianoteq and even more cracks when I play Pianoteq in layer with other VST ( for example Diva). When I turn on wifi, everithing is fine.
More interesting thing is that I have no problems when Wifi is on but no network is connected.
Any idea?

Do you have anti virus running?

I have not installed any antivirus. Also I have tried to switch off all possible functions in windows. I have enclosed photos from win security screen.

Are you running Pianoteq and/or Gig Performer in trial mode?

No, I have both official.

This is very unusual, but if you are running your computer to it’s limits then there is no telling what a plugin really is trying to do. If it is trying to connect somewhere and it can’t we can’t control what it does.

What are your Sample Rate and Buffer Size settings? Which audio interface are you using?

The computer does not run on its limits, because the CPU load indicatorn s moving BTw 10-50% IN AVARAGE AROUND 15-20%. When I get these glitches in the pianoteq analysator I see a short peak from for example from 15% to 60%. Sample rate is 48kHz, buffer size 256. The processor is I7-8559.
Somewhere I have seen a post about optumalization of Windows for auidio(I thik on Cantabile site), I will trI to apply all the suggestions.
I do not think it is caused by the GP or PT. More it has to be connected with Windows. The CPU fan is running more less all the time (no any program started) an I have not had it earlier.
Can it be connected with the multicore mode switch in PT or other plugins? Is it OK when I switch on this mode in PT and in the other VST there is not this option?

Understood - 60% of CPU is VERY high and indicates that it might have gone over a 100% for a very short period of time (hence crackling).

Does this happen if you do not use the analysator ? If not - take a look at its settings - maybe there is something there that can be adjusted.

There is a good article on Ableton site about optimizing your PC for live audio use.

I’ve had good results with Process Lasso, a Windows utility/monitor that allows you to tweak the operating system’s priority and CPU affinity for GP (or any program for that matter). It also includes its own super high performance power plan and disables cpu parking and other default Windows behaviors that are detrimental to real-time audio processing. The program is $36 and worth every penny IMO. Here is a link.

1 Like

Windows systems can be unpredictable in my experience. Worked through a lot of these mysteries of why a machine that should work perfectly produces glitches. It’s often a maddening process.

Go through those “Optimizing windows for audio” things, which will hopefully help.

What model number NUC are you running? There are some specific things about NUC’s that require doing different things than you might with a desktop system. For example, with a lot of desktop systems you want to configure the processor to always run at Turbo speed. I always have my i7 running at 4.8ghz, for example. You can’t do that with a NUC without melting your system because it doesn’t have the heat dissipation capacity.

Also, what audio interface are you using, and which port are you connecting to? And have you tried switching it? What are you using for internal storage (nvme or SSD?) and do you have any external storage connected?

With these kinds of intermittent problems that don’t make logical sense, a lot of people often think “why would that matter?” so they don’t try different things. And then after you stumble upon something that fixes the problem you do a little digging and discover why it matters. Might be a chipset thing, might be a shared interrupt thing, might be a graphics driver thing.

I recently had a “network activity is causing glitches” problem on my system, which didn’t make any sense, and eventually I traced it to the graphics driver and my particular multi-monitor setup.