Shared Plugin Instances across Racks

Hi All,

I have a question that I can’t seem to find the answer to.

I understand the purpose of backspace variants and how they work, but I am after something a little different.

I have some VERY long sets (30-40 songs each) for a couple of very long shows.

In each setlist I have a couple of instruments/plugins that are common across each rackspace.

So, for example:

Rackspace 1:
Plugin A, Plugin B, Plugin C

Rackspace 2:
Plugin A, Plugin B, Plugin D, Plugin E

Rackspace 30:
Plugin A, Plugin B, Plugin XX

There is a common subset of plugins that flow through all of the backspaces (but additional ones in each one too).

My goal is to be able to only have one loaded instance of those shared plugins. Each one takes so pretty big resources.

Is that possible?

I can’t seem to find a way. Maybe I am missing something. I have seen some questions that were similar but not quite the same as this one and I haven’t found a solution yet.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

I should say too… the shared plugins have identical settings in each rack. So Plugin A, for example, is the same plugin with the same identical sounds/settings loaded in each instance.

Just wanted to clarify the use case…

You can use the global rackspace for that

…and turn them on and off, for example, using these methods. :wink:

Thanks. I hadn’t thought through some aspects of using the global rackspace for things like this. It solves some of the issues, but causes others so it’s a trade off. But it may work. Thank you!

What is the reason that you cannot use multiple rackspaces, even with the same plugin?

You can only use one rackspace variation at a time within each instance of GP. I think the reason is other local rackspaces are totally disabled, so they do not use CPU.

There are several avenues to deal with your issue.

You can just copy and paste the duplicate the plugins in a new rackspace. So, you would just be creating a new rackspace with everything you want. You’d have redo connections to widgets. If you are using heavy sample based plugins, you’ll use up more ram. I usually just do this if I am using non-ram intensive plugins (true soft synths and physically modeled instruments). You are probably aware of this option.

You could put all plugins in a single rackspace and then set up widgets to bypass the ones you do not use in different variations of the rackspace. If you want you could use set list mode and change the variation by changing so parts. I do this often, especially if the plugins are more ram intensive.

If a ram intensive plugin is used a lot with the same sound, you could put it in the Global Rackspace. (I have 5 plugins in my Global Rackspace.)

You could set up additional instances of GP and setup different rackspaces there. One benefit of this is it may allow you to utilize different cores on your machine. (I have not used multiple instances of GP yet).

Hope this helps!