Setting up everything for my first gig with Gig Performer

In less than two weeks from now, Saturday, July 23rd, I plan to use Gig Performer for the first time on a gig. Our 5 piece band will play a 45 minute slot in a park during the Molde International Jazz Festival.

I have used my new Arturia Keylab MKII 88 keyboard with software one time before, but then I used Arturia’s Analog Lab software.

Gig Peformer I have only tried out at three rehearsals, have read a lot, have watched a lot of vids and set up a few rackspaces with some widgets.

This post is to get some feedback on whether my plans for organizing things are ok or not.

I’ll be using 4 different VSTs; Arturia’s Piano, Stage-73 and Moog and the Blue3 organ. I’ll need to have more than one Stage-73 sound, like with and without flanger. I also plan to set up the Blue3 so that I can use my Nord Electro 2 as an upper manual, with a separate sound for soloing.

1. I will start out setting up a rackspace for each of the VSTs.

2. Would it then be the best way, regarding the Stage-73 sounds, to make that rackspace with widgets that control all the things like reverb, flanger and so on, then make variations of it with different settings for the different widgets.

3. For the Blue3 I’m thinking of looking into a rackspace in a gig file I’ve come across on this forum. I plan to use a separate MIDI channel for the Nord Electro 2 as an upper manual, and hope that will not be too complicated.

4. One thing I’m thinking about is how to set the volume level of the different instruments compared to each other. Would this somehow be doable in the global rackspace, setting up a 4 channel mixer, circling through the rackspaces and adjusting the different channels, or is there no way for the global rackspace to know that channel 1 relates to rackspace 1 and channel 2 relates to rackspace 2, and so on?

Thx in advance for feedback!

When you only need 1 sound at a time then this is working.
As soon as you need splits or layers you have to include a vst which works in multi timbral mode like Analog Lab or you need to load more than 1 plugin.

1 Like

Just load all your VST you need in 1 rackspace and via splits and bypassing Note ON messsages in different variations you can switch seamless the sounds.
And with Gain Widgets connected from the VST Audio Out and the Main Outs you can adjust the perfect volume

here an example gig
VarOrgan.gig (75.5 KB)

Thx!

What are your thoughts on my global rackspace question? Is it possible for the global rackspace to know what rackspace sends something to it?

The Global Rackspace normally does not know what local rackspace is sending audio.
But with a (unnecessary complex) routing with different channels you could implement that.

Why would you need this information?

I thought I would need it if I should implement a 4 channel mixer, where the channels came from different rackspaces, and should keep their separate volum levels as I walk through the different rackspaces.

But perhaps what I want to do is best done by walking through the different rackspaces, checking that their relative volume level is good.

1 Like

You mean different MIDI channels, or different audio channels out from the rackspace?

You could use multiple channels in this plugin

and each rackspace uses it’s own channels
Then in the Global Rackspace you know on what channel what rackspace sends.

But I do not see why you need that when you balance your volume in the local rackspace.

1 Like

Maybe you are right. I will need to circle through those rackspaces anyway :smiley:

Yes, that is correct

If I’m asking a bit much it comes from my background as IT expert and programmer :laughing:

I’m looking forward to get some time to look into the scripting language.

This is an interesting concept.

In my gig file I used 22 omnispheres into 22 rackspaces. I needed a different sound for each song so I thought I had to do it this way. I then Assigned each song to the correct rackspace in setlist mode.

Is there a more efficient way?

1 Like

That’s the best way to go about it. You use individual rackspaces at a time and you have full control over each sound

1 Like

What does this mean?

That is the big latinum

Individual rackspaces

3 Likes

individual rackspaces - sorry… :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was what I thought :rofl: