Sending CCs to iPad from GP

All very strange. Obviously the Vesion 4 app is still being sold on the app store. On the Studiomux forum a user posted a week ago that he had Version 4 working on his Windows 10 computer and Ipad 4… and the Dev responded to him. Apparently there is an issue with ios14 although this user got it working. And apparantly there is a way to load older ios versions to possibly resolve the problem. (All the Apple stuff is new to me… trying to make things work on a borrowed iPhone 7 for now to be sure it’s what I need it to be before geting too far into this).

Things on the thread for the Beta don’t look too promising for the moemnt either, particularly for Windows users.

There is an alternative solution.
In audio setup enable your iPad.
Now you can send midi to th e iPad and audio you can route from the iPad to the computer and get it as input in gig Performer.
On Mac this mechanism is called IDAM.
On windows there should be similar.

So in this use case no need for Studiomux.

And i tested to send PC messages to IK Multimedia Hammond and using Sustain pedal to toggle the leslie speed.

That all is working.

The only thing that is not so good: Samplerate ost restricted to 44.1 kHz and I am using 48 kHz because auf AES protocol.

1 Like

Hey just bumping this up. I have not really been able to find any equivelent to IDAM on Windows 10. Anyone using an iPad or iPhone with Windows? I am wondering if the Apple Lightning to USB Camera connector will make this work? It is supposed to send MIDI and audio. But just plugging the lighning to USB into my laptop does not seem to get me anywhere.

Anyone have any help?

Have you looked at Strike 2 from Air? Another forum user put me on to this vst and I use it extensively controlling it from an iPad over wireless

@bigalminal Hi Alan, Thanks so much for that!! I’m going to try the demo. But just wondering if you use it live? And do you find the “jam” feature works well? As I mentioned, I won’t be progamming songs, I just want to picj a groove and tempo and have the jam feature mix things up enough to keep it somewhat interesting and interactive…and just a few fills and variations and maybe ending programmed to MIDI controller.

Hi there. Yes, all my stuff is live. I play at famers markets and rest homes. In addition to Air Strike 2 for drums, I use Ujam basses all triggered from my iPad. Not sure what the Jam feature is. The controller in my iPad is called OnSong, and it sends out midi associated with the songs headings. So I can trigger drum fills, change bass patterns, turn my harmonizer on and off etc, all from the iPad linked to a Bluetooth pedal, so its all hands free. Very powerful.

Thanks again Alan. The Jam feature in Air Strike is a paramter that goes from 1-5 it says, which varies the pattern you have playing in a natural and “real drummer” kind of way. That same jam feature is in the Lumbeats drum apps and implemented extrememly well. It keeps things from getting too repetitive… and actually throws some interesting things out sometimes that you find yourself actually interacting with and jamming with. Unfoprtunately as to the OT, these are ios apps and I still jave not been able to make work in Windows environnment. So very interested. Strike.

When you say you tigger all these things from a pedal, I’m not iundertadning how you are able to send the different mesages (fills, start/stop, patterns, etc) from one pedal?

yes indeed IDAM is the way for iOS and MacBook for me , I made a diagram for my own purposes , using the logic on iPad app , I did try the StudioMux as well but it looks like support for that app has waned and newest iOS support just leaves the app to crash , StudioMux that is , IDAM works though !

2 Likes

Wow, two years later! I just found this. Is a reply still relevant? Please advise LilyM

Sure I’d still like to know what pedal you use for that. I’m not doing as much solo stuff post Covid but still could come in handy. Thanks

Hey Lilly M. I’m still here!!
Two years on and I’ve switched from wireless to Ethernet. Much more stable and reliable. I found that I was getting dropouts from nearby wireless networks, so now I switch wireless off on both my iPad Pro and my Surface Pro 8.

However, your question was about the pedal. It is a Pageflip Dragonfly which is a four button model and connects to the iPad via BT. Very fast and reliable. In retrospect, I probably would not buy the four pedal one again as It is easy to hit the secondary buttons by mistake and do something silly in the middle of a song. OnSong which is the app I use on the iPad is a fantastic midi controller when used with the Dragonfly pedal.

I should have mentioned that the required midi commands are inserted into the song headings in OnSong. When the pedal is pressed for the next section ( Chorus, Bridge etc), the midi is sent over Ethernet cable from the iPad to the hub then to the PC.

That’s very cool. Thank you!