Send all Midi CC and PGR changes on variation change

Hi guys,

I know Gig Performer is optimized to not send parameters it thinks are already set. But I really need my variations to send the widgets value everytime I change variation. This way I know everything is synced between hardware and software even after I messed with the hardware controllers and pedals.

Sometime I’ll change presets or parameters directly on hardware, without Gigperformer realizing it. when I change variation, it doesn’t resend its values. Is there a way to change this behavior?

I think if you set the Associate MIDI Output Device in Rig Manager and set Sync on the widgets used that need to stay in sync, this should fix the issue at least for any parameters controlled by widgets.

Steve

What is exactly your use case, controlling external hardware? Do you try to send a PC message and some additional CC# afterwards?

For sending program change with bank selection at each variation, I made the following Scriptlet if it can help:

And by the way @Coeur-de-loup, welcome to the GP community forum😉

2 Likes

Don’t do that😜

@Coeur-de-loup

Perhaps this article can give you some ideas: Gig Performer | How to send Program Change messages out to hardware devices and other applications

1 Like

Hi David,

I’ve been on tour and had a crazy month so sorry for for the delay, but thanks a lot for the answer.

In fact, I was already using your awesome script! And program changes works great. But CC are not resent on rackspace change or variations.

I ended up not using Gig performer, because the main purpose of all this was to control Presets with bypass (CCs) of all my pedals. Tweak the pedals live, then recall another state. Because Gig Performer is not sending every widget state, everytime I change variation, I had to manually bypass or activate everything anyway.

Do you think there’s a way to force send every widget state anytime I select a new variation/rackspace?

Again, thank you very much, happy to be part of this great community!

I don’t understand, are you suggesting I won’t tweak my guitar pedals live directly on their respective knobs and buttons? Are you saying I should MIDI map everything on a midi controller even though the buttons and knobs are already on the pedals?

Thanks Steve, I’ve try this, the parameter is in fact sent on variation change, but it reverts instantly back, as if it was getting 2 midi messages. I’m not trying to sync gig performer to the positions of my pedals knob and buttons. I want gig performer to force these positions on variation change.

Well, I don’t totally understand your topology but assuming that you’re wanting to set plugin parameters from your MIDI controller, you should always map those MIDI controller buttons to widgets and then have the widgets control the plugin parameters.

Are you trying to control plugin parameters directly via MIDI messages?

Sorry if I’m not clear, i’m having a hard time translating my thoughts in english! I’m not controlling any plugin, I’m controlling guitar pedals. So no need for hardware MIDI controllers. The controls are already on the pedals.

For example, on one of my pedals, cc 102 is controlling the bypass. I have a widget button that toggles between 0 and 127. It controls the pedal’s bypass just fine when I manually switch it in gig performer. But when I switch variations, the state of that widget is not sent. So if in the first variation, the button is on, and in the next the button is off, i would want the pedal’s bypass to reflect this button state. But for now, the button only send midi when I manually toggle it, but not when I change variation…

How are you getting the widgets to send the CC messages? Are you connecting them to the Midi Out Block and using the CC parameters?

I tried this approach with my midi controlled guitar pedal, and it was resending the same value on variation change - and correctly updating any manual changes I made on the pedal.

1 Like

I supposed that it is what @coeur-de-loup did and and it didn’t send the CC again when it keeps identical between variations. If it works like this (I didn’t check), the problem should be solved.

Yes, exactly that, but on a Local GP port that was routed to a MIDI out block. After reading your post, I tried directly on a Midi Out port and It works. CCs are resent on variation change.

But, CCs are always sent Twice, and I could not find a way to prevent the block from sending Sustain (64) and Midi Notes Off (123) each time I change variation. Midi Patch Persist in Rackspace properties doesn’t change this behavior.

I found a workaround using scriptlet, (Based on @David-san’s script, thanks David!) taking knobs values as script variables and sending them as midi CC on variation change. This solution only sends the MIDI CCs once, without the unneeded #64 and #123. But it makes adding parameters extremely cumbersome and time consuming.

You’re right, but this behavior only happens on Local GP block.

@dhj, is there a way to prevent widgets (without script) from sending their midi CCs two times on variation change? Also, is there a way to prevent CCs 64 and 123 from being sent?