Securing tablets and devices to your controller

I realise this isn’t a tip about using GP, but by extension many of us use MIDI controllers and this applies to those that have a steel case, like the StudioLogic SL88 (and my Yamaha S90 in my studio). Up until now I have used Velcro to attach things, but this new way has the benefit of being easy to adjust positions.

I got the idea when attaching my SL MixFace to my SL88 and quickly realised, magnets will stick to the case. So after a quick bit of Googling, I purchased some 25mm wide Magnet Expert tape and started applying strips to the backs of my pad controller, touchscreen and Android tablet. They all now magically stick magnetically to the top surface of the SL88 and don’t move under normal playing conditions.

…and just to prove they are secure:

4 Likes

I don’t claim to know much about this topic, but I would be concerned magnets could play havoc with the electronics in your devices.

2 Likes

I was concerned about that too, but I’ve had an iPad magnetically attached to my S90ES for weeks with no issues and most tablet covers are attached magnetically too. I think they’ve improved things like this much over the years. Thankfully, no tablets or touchscreens have CRT technology!

4 Likes

Theoretically it is possible that magnets interfere: sometimes reed-relays are/were used in switches and these are activated using magnetic fields:

But I think, there is no need to worry about this. Lots of the switches nowadays are like these:

Or conducting rubber pads with a printed circuit board.

Much cheaper and easier to use.

2 Likes

Hi Dave

I realise this was a little while ago now, but I’d be interested to hear your opinion on your magnetic tape idea a few months on. I need to secure my M1 MacBook Pro to my Arturia Keylab 88 and am considering either magnetic pads or velcro. I was using the Arturia rear platform (which was rubberised) but now that I have a second keyboard, the laptop needs to shift right a bit and that’s now hanging over the edge a little.

Still recommend the Magnet Expert tape approach?

Cheers!

Absolutely, the magnetic tape approach is working better for me than Velcro did. Mainly it is because you can easily fine-tune positioning and removing items is far easier than prying up Velcro. I’m fully converted for every situation where I can use it.

Great, thanks for getting back to me. I’ve ordered some and will see how I get on!

1 Like

I received the tape today - sadly the top of my Arturia Keylab MkII 88 does not seem to play ball. Oddly enough the front and back do, as does my K&M stand, but not the surface where I’d be positioning my laptop.

Just however, spotted that you can buy the tape in two variants - Polarity A and Polarity B. Probably need the other one then!

Maybe aluminum?

1 Like

Could well be, or even plastic. I’ve ordered some polarity a and some polarity b to confirm for sure. Will report back my findings.

1 Like

Yes, it will only adhere to steel or other magnetic surfaces. As you’ve worked out, buying the polarity B tape will allow you to stick that to the controller and then the polarity A magnetic tape will adhere to it.

1 Like